Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what cab works best?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rexspangle, Mar 9, 2001.

1. I own a swr workingman 2004.
    (200W @ 4 ohms, 160 @ 8 ohms)

the swr website recommends the WM 8 ohm 2x10 for optimun performance.

however when I go to the manual section on the web-site it lists all the cabs and cab combinations you can use

for instance:

it says you can use a goliath senior 4 ohm which is able to handle 1000 W

or can basically use any two cab combinations if it is 8 ohms

I am sure SWR would know what they are talking about, but would my head not clip too much if I was to go with a more powerful cab set-up? (since i will be purchasing a bass 350 in the future it would be nice to cut some corners)

or should i just stick with the WM 200w 4x10 8 ohm
    and add a WM 200 w 1x15 8 ohm ???

so my head would be 160 W and have two 200 w 8 ohm cabs???????

thanx

2. >I am sure SWR would know what they are talking >about, but would my head not clip too much if I >was to go with a more powerful cab set-up?

Wattage of cab should have no effect on amp clipping - how far up up you turn the amp will though. At 200 watt you will not be pushing the cab to its limits, but depending on the efficiency of the cab it should be pretty loud.

remember (now, i think this is right! correct me here): roughly:

1watt output = 1x sensitivity
    10 watts = sens + 10 db
    100 watts = sens + 20db
    1000 watts = sens + 30db.

thus, if the can is 100db sens and can handle 1000 watts, at full power it would be 130db at 1 meter.
    (earbleeding if you stuck your head meter away I would think)
    200 watts would be abour 123db, still pretty loud.

thus a 1000 watt amp is only twice as powerful (to a speaker) than a 100 watt one.

this is ignoring tone/bass repsonse of course.

point is, with an efficient cab a ONE WATT input could produce (say) 103db --- enough to really piss off the nieghbours.

Speakers are the biggest factor in percieved power/volume I would think.

> (since i will be purchasing a bass 350 in the >future it would be nice to cut some corners)

>or should i just stick with the WM 200w 4x10 8 >ohm
    >and add a WM 200 w 1x15 8 ohm ???

>so my head would be 160 W and have two 200 w >8 ohm cabs???????

if they are parallel it would half the impedance

thanx [/B][/QUOTE]

3. ..of course, more powerful amp more headroom, which will mean less clipping for dynamic playing...

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida