What cab would be the perfect "marriage" for my new GK head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TVD, Aug 12, 2004.

1. TVD

Jul 14, 2004
    Hey everyone. I just got a new GK 400RB IV head a week ago, and i'm just curious as to what cabs would be considered a good, or even perfect match for the head. I'm currently using a SWR Goliath II 4x10. And it's still working fine, though it is 14 years old now. Not looking for a new cab right away, but probably will be in the not too terribly distant future. I like the 4x10 route, that's probably what i'd like to stick with if/when i do get a new cab. I don't play alot of terribly loud gigs, though i do some mid sized to large clubs, and some country fairs-festivals type of gigs. of course i'm in the pa as well for those type of gigs, so i've never seen the need in having 1,000 watts or something. Headroom has never really been an issue for me. In fact, with my maiden voyage with the GK last weekend, i had the volume lower on it both nights in two different venues than i usually had my SWR Basic 350 head. I rarely ever had the volumes on the SWR past 1 o'clock, even on really big festivals. I play mainly country, which of course sadly means i have to play quite a bit of rock too... :spit: But i'm just looking for some cab suggestions for my new head down the road a bit. Thanks, Trent
  2. You want Eden.

You need Eden.
  3. agreed eden is always the answer :D
  4. yup. eden. if you can shell up the dough.
  5. Well umm, a GK cabinet would work great with that. You should take a listen to the GK Neo 212. The best tone I've heard from a bass cabinet and loud as heck too.
  6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  7. Dan that aint fair, you know theyre not even out yet are they?

Might be a good bloody 2 years before they hit the Auzzie shores as well.

Quit teasing us! :crying: :D
  8. They're shippin' mate. I don't know yet if our Aussie distributor has put in an order for them yet, but I would imagine they're on the way.
  9. Jimmy Earl uses the 410SBX. The low end is very smooth on them. A benefit to the sealed design.
  10. Cool! thanks for the update! Any chance they'd the website soon?
  11. I've been given till the end of the month to finish the website. Otherwise, they'll cut my pinky fingers off.
  12. TVD

Jul 14, 2004
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not known for having many cases of GAS, but you guys are firing me up. Maybe i need to not read this board....jk

But i have a few questions, been doing some searching. Do you Eden fans thing a Eden 2X10 would fit my needs alone? Been reading about the XLT and the XST series. I guess i'd have to try both out to get an idea of the differences. I play probably 70% on my 5 string, but i do a fair amount of gigs with my Fender P too, and even on my G&L 5'er, i don't use the low B much past the E.

To "Mr. GK" Daniel, can you give or direct me to any info on the GK Neo 212? Can't really find anything on it thru searches, i guess it's too new. Trent
  13. Depends on how loud you want to play really.

The difference in the Eden series of the T, XLT & XST is the wattage, and the voicing. I know that the XLT has been described has having a Low-Mid hump, where as the XST is a bit more neutral.

BTW, I think that its just way to co-incidental that the GK-1001-II puts out 700watts at 4Ohms. Which what an Eden 4x10XLT 4Ohm is rated at, but I think that this setup is best suited for me.

Since your running with GK-400-IV you should trial whats the best sounding to your ears.. Theres a wide variation of what eden offers. 10's, 12's, 15's and 18's.

I can't pass comment on the new GK gear, since i havent tried them, BUt man i cant wait.. see if they'll knock eden of my gas list..hehe
  14. TVD

Jul 14, 2004
    To be perfectly honest with you man, i don't give a crap about being loud, i only care about sounding good. I just want a good sound within what i think a bassists role in a band should be. I mean obviously i want enough volume to be able to keep up with bands in various settings, and not be cranked all the way up to do it. I've never had to do that. I won't get into a volume war with anyone anyhow. In the bands i'm currently in now, it's not even an issue. Trent
  15. :bag:

Agreed. I am not a campaign to rage some kinda volume war with every musician i play.

But for me, i play outdoors /w no P.A support. So having that much headroom without struggling makes me feel that much more comfortable.

However, if you feel that a 2x10 is enough for yourself. By all means go go for it. Buy a rig thats suits you.

Coz heck your the one paying for it and playing throught it! :D
  16. TVD

Jul 14, 2004
    Yeah, that's why i was asking if a 2X10 would be enough. I've played thru a 4x10 for the past 14 years. I guess i was just wondering how much volume, and bottom, is lost going from a 4X10 to a 2X10. And yeah i realize it's going to vary from brand to brand. Trent
  17. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i love my eden 2x10 xst, and i think that it would be enough for what you describe. I run mine with 350 watts, and its loud enough to fill a room with 250 people at moderate levels without clipping the power amp.

You'd have to try it out of you like the sound though, i find that it doesnt have a low-mid hump, but it does extend to the lows pretty well, and handles my B string with ease down to the D, after that I think i run out of amp power at louder volumes because when its softer its fine.

it has strong lows, but it has some kinda hump in the migher mids, and that combination was unfamilliar to me so i had to get used to it, but i like it because i get a full sound with cut.
  18. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

BAG END 2 X 10 OR 2 SINGLE 15'S

19. What he said^

At 280w max, you need something efficient, and Bag End cabs are infamous for that...