What Cab Would Sound Most Hifi-ish?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EString, Jan 26, 2002.

1. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Yesterday, I played my bass through a home theater AV receiver and some headphones because I didn't have my amp with me.

I REALLY liked the way it sounded.

What cabs do you think would give me a sound closest to the sound of headphones from an AV receiver.

I was using Sony MDR-7506s with an expensive Sony ES receiver.

I know my head isn't the problem, because I have a GK, which sounds hifi-ish enough when I listen to it through headphones.

Would SWR cabs give me what I'm looking for?

How about Aguilar?
  2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Euphonic Audio or Acme sounds like what your looking for.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I agree with slapper on the EA. They pride themselves on uncolored sound.

Glockenklang is one that many, including luthiers, use as a reference amp. They came out with a less expensive line not too long ago, (they used to be synonymous with megabucks and they still make that line, too).

As much as I love Aguilar, I wouldn't associate them with "hi fi" by any means. The reason I love `em is because they are so "big and fat-sounding."
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Definitely EA. my 1x10 is the clearest, that i sometimes use it as a plain monitor onstage.
  5. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Would you guys say that SWR has a clean, clear sound? I know a dealer than can get me good prices.

Basically, I enjoyed the detail that the hifi gave me. I like lots of noises in my sound, even if that noise if fret buzzing and strings clanking on the frets.
  6. john b carvalho

john b carvalho Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2001
    I concur EA,my VL-210 is to my ears very hi-fi sounding compared to the Eden's & SWR cabs.

Aloha John
  7. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    i have swr gear, and its nowhere near as hifi as headphones...

keep savin bro, cuz in order to get somethin that sounds as hifi as your stereo but is as loud as a normal bass amp is gonna be expensive,big,and heavy