Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What cab would you combine with an El Whappo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Jul 11, 2005.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I want to get a thunderfunk with one of the smaller accugroove cabs and then spring out the $ for an el whappo when I get my xmas bonus at the end of the year. Right now I have enought for a tri112, tri110 and tri210. Which one Would you go with and why?

I'm leaning towards the tri210 for now.

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If your goal is to combine it with an El Whappo later on down the line, then my clear choice would be the Tri 210L, because it will stack so darn nicely. Plus, I would definitely consider gigging out with just my Tri 210L, although I don't think that my Tri 110 would be enough, as a stand alone cab, for many gigs. I have not tried the Tri 112.

However, I must say that I would be hesitant to power both an El Whappo and a Tri 210L with a Thunderfunk, even the 550. Headwise, the iAMP 800 is probably the minimum that I would go with as far as a SS head to power the El Whappo, plus one other cab. I hear that the guys using just one El Whappo with a Thunderfunk are happy, but I still have my reservations about using it for two cabs. Ideally, I'd be sporting a rack rig with a beefy amp to drive two Accugroove cabs. Although my iAMP 800 sounds fantabulistic driving my Whappo, Jr. and Tri 210L!

Later, Tom.

3. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
  4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'd get a Whappo Grande for the uber low end...

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I was going to suggest that as well, but as he wants a smaller cab to gig with before he gets the El Whappo, I ruled it out.

Of course, the Gordo is smaller... :p

But it's not full range, so I stick with the Tri 210L (unless you want to spring for a Whappo, Jr.!:bassist:).

Tom.