What cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by klejst, Jul 27, 2013.

1. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Been on the hunt lately for a cheap but decent cab. Found two older (70's/80's?) Peavey cabs, one is a 1810 and the other a 215 (not the BW speaker model I don't think). Both are priced under $90. I am just looking for something with decent tone and will last and I know these older Peavey's were built like stones. If you had to choose which would you and why? I am leaning towards the 215 myself, however I heard the 1810 and it sounded good too. Ah choices...

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Which sounds better to you?

Which one fits in your vehicle better?

Which one is easier to move around by yourself?

I've never played through an 1810 or 1820 but I have owned 2x15s and liked them. Back when I started, a 2x15 was the standard bass cabinet to have (although some 8x10s and 1x18s were available).

3. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks for the response, I was merely looking for peoples opinions of the two cabs from those who have used them.

4. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    I, for one, have no opinion of either of these cabs since I have played neither. I'm sure there are plenty od others out there with no opinion either.

If you want advice though here ya go. You are looking at used cabs under $100. It's not like you are buying a house or a car. How much internet research do you need to do? Play them both. Buy the one that sounds best to you or neither.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Good points!

In my initial response, I was going to suggest that he just buy both for as cheap as they are... Heck, that's probably what I'd do!

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    How big is your amp? The old 215's that didn't have Black Widows had an old model of speaker that had a square magnet. Same thing as is in old TNT 100's. I'd emailed Peavey about them years ago. They didn't have much for zpecs but figured they were 100 or maybe 150 watt speakers. They have a real nice tone but can't take the pounding of the widows. Couple hundred watts will make that 215 start farting, but sounds nice up to that point. It'll get you loud enough to gig, but not much beyond that.

7. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I've gigged with both. I used a pair of 1810's for years and have a 2X15 and have used the stock square magnet speakers and a pair of BW's in it.

Both worked well for me. I liked the 1810's but I usually biamped them.

To get more punch out of the 1810, plug your amp into the normal input. Then patch a speaker cord from the other normal input to the low input.

This runs the 18 full range, bypassing the crossover, but keeps the two 10's on the 500Hz crossover. I ran two 1810's patched like this without ever having any amp problems. (2 ohm capable PV head.)

I ran the 1810's without PA support even doing pants flapping outdoor gigs. Never a problem.

I preferred the 1810 to the 2X15, until I added a horn to the 2X15.

I gigged with the 2X15 using a GK1001RB. I never had any farting out even at outdoor gigs. But the GK has a pretty controlled low end. It may have farted out if I used my old 370.

8. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Thanks for the responses. Steve your's was very informative, I was honestly leaning towards the 1810 myself just because the 215 was not a BW loaded model. There is only a $10 difference between the two cabs. Only thing is the 1810 does not seem to have casters on it but those can be bought at any major tool and hardware retail store.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021