Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What cabinet has a similar sound to an Ampeg 810E without the bulk & weight?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Regulator, Sep 24, 2005.

1. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    Are there any cabinets out there that have a similar sound to the Ampeg 810 E without all the bulk & weight?

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Try checking out a bergantino 6x10.

http://www.bergantino.com/

The berg 610 is relly popular here on TB, and from what I have read it resembles the vintage tone of the ampeg fridge.

It only weighs 98 lbs too.

-Rob

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +100!!!! Amazing cab.

4. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    How much do they cost?

5. Whitebread

Whitebread

Jun 26, 2000
    Kansas
    They are a bit over a grand new, and probably around 600 or 700 if you can find a used one. Here's one place selling them: http://www.bassemporium.com/item.php?sku=NV610 (they are the same price everywhere).

I recently acquired one and agree with what's been said; a terrific cab.

6. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    haven't played one, but isn't the SWR henry 8x8 supposed to be just that?

7. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I don't think that the Berg NV sounds like any Ampeg I've ever played! I love mine, though!

Dan K.

8. weeks82

weeks82

Oct 10, 2001
    Southern NH
    In my experience the Ampeg 6x10 can get loud as all hell and sound just as good. Still heavy though. Roadies?!?! :p

9. I tried a used Berg 6x10 ($799) and a Trace Elliot GP12SMX head yesterday and it was nice and really loud, but definately "nicer" sounding than an Ampeg 810E.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I don't have much experience with the Henry 8x8. I played one once and liked it, but I think that was 10 years ago.

Anyway: I believe the Henry has ports and a tweeter, so I'm not sure it would have the same "sealed box magic" (no double-entendre intended) of the Berg NV and Ampeg 8x10 cabs.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

P.S. The Berg NV610 is my solution too... I absolutely LOVE it, even with five-string bass.

12. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I like the Ampeg 410HLF... tweeter all the way off. Pretty close to my ears. Closer than their 6x10. I have no experience with the Berg... sounds like it's golden though. Will try one if anyone in Portland gets them in stock.

13. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Lightest 6x10 ever IMO:

[​IMG]

I've played a 2x12 and 2x10 stack, they aren't the coloured ampeg sound but I personally like all my tone to come from my bass and my amp, not the cabs so I love tech. They're really easy to move, well designed and well, when I played them to my ears they blew everything out of the water (there was an Ampeg SVT-3Pro and 6x10 rig in there that was just made to sound pathetic).

14. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Tech's are def. my dream cabs. Prolly the loudest as well judging by those stats right?

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Another vote for the Berg NV610

16. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    310212...Several people on the Schroder megthread have replaced different 810 and 610 cabinets with the 310212. It's extremely compact...only 32 inches? high, extremely efficient unlike a typical non-vented 810, takes much more wattage, I believe 2100 watts rms capacity, goes down to 35 Hz? and weighs in around 100 pounds. Still has the punch of the 10's facing forward, but adds a tremendous oomph and fullness from the 12's facing to the side. EXTREMELY loud.

I used to use 2 SVT 810's in my "early rock days" around 1972. I pushed the cabinets with an acoutic 370 and then a Sunn Colisseum head. I can say with the utmost confidence that my current setup with a Schroeder 410 and AI Focus 600 head is darn close to the same volume as they entire 810 rig was, with 1/4 the speakers. There's no doubt in my mind that the Schro 310212 is as loud if not louder potentially than your Ampeg 810. It then becomes a question of whether you like the tone. There's around 100 of us on the megathread with everything from the smallest to largest cabinets and I've only seen/heard one person say they weren't absolutely thrilled by Schro's of EVERY SIZE.

my 2 cents. Spend them how you like.

LKaye

17. :confused: :confused: ;)

I'm gonna have to totally disagree with this....:D

The NV-610 sounds almost exactly like a vintage 810. In fact, it sounds more like the original Ampeg 810 than the new 810s do.
    I did AB comparisons of my 610 with a '70 810 and a new 810 on the same stage with the same amp and bass and there was barely any difference between them. Both were very tight and punchy with a sweet sweet midrange.

The Berg and the old 810 were both a little quicker and had a bit more low end and top end than the new 810, which didn't sound bad at all either.

If you're looking for that vintage Ampeg sound in a smaller, lighter, easier to move package, the NV-series is the only option worth considering, IMO of course.

No ported cabinets need apply. While I'm sure the Schroeder cabs are awesome, they won't have that sealed box sound.

18. How about 2 410 cabs. You get the same cab with half the weight. For each trip into the bar, anyway. Easier to squeeze it into a car also.

Randy

19. Even so-called "uncoloured" cabinets still add more colouration to your sound than practically any other thing in the chain beyond the bass itself. The speaker is by far the weakest link in the audio chain. Some have more colouration than others but all of them add artifacts to the signal, especially if you're driving them hard at all....

20. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    These are the closest in frequency that I have found so far.
    I have yet to try any of them:

(At –3 db Ampeg 810 E : 58hz – 5khz)

Bergantino NV610 : 48hz – 5 khz
    SWR Goliath Sr. : 55hz – 14 khz
    Eden D610XLT : 50hz – 14khz