What cabinet/head do you recommend??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alyosha09, Jul 27, 2000.

1. Alyosha09

Jun 16, 2000
    I have a great bass ,Ibanez SR1015 ($901) and an ok amp, Peavey TNT 100 (150 watts). I saved up for these all by myself. I am only 14, and just to refresh your memmory, at 14, not many people have a lot of cash. In fact now I am in debt! I am a very serious bass player, so I want the best quality cabinet and head possible. Im looking in the range of $100 to $500. Do you reccommend used heads? please help, and give me prices if possible!!

Im very grateful!

Thank you so much!!!

Life is Short,
    Bass is Cool.

[This message has been edited by Alyosha09 (edited July 27, 2000).]
  2. fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    yeah, I hear you with the money thing. I wouldn't have gotten such an expensive bass and saved more for the amp. Anyway to get a head and cab for $100-$500 then you have to go used. I found www.ugbm.com has a lot of good stuff. That website has a lot a peavey 115 Blackwidows for around $200 those are great cabs especially for rock. There a peavey megabass heads there for $250. You might not want another peavey but for that price you can't really afford to. Maybe you could sell your bass and get a cheaper one so you could have more $$$ for the amp. I got my Ibanez 300ATK used in beautiful condition for $350.
  3. I agree about www.ugbm.com. it's a great site. I got my Peavey 4x10 with a tweeter for only $200. now I'm waiting for my hartke 350 watt head to come in =) ($360 from www.zzound.com). try to get a new head.. but whatever you can afford.. don't wanna get too far in debt =). don't forget to try the stuff before you buy =P get the tone you want with the $$ you have.

[This message has been edited by ikickuintheballs (edited July 30, 2000).]
  4. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000

If your range is $100-500 you're probably going to have to go at least 50% used. By the way their is nothing wrong with that. I get 3/4 of my gear used. Here's what I would recommend.

A new Peavey head
    A used ampeg Cab

My rig consists of an Ampeg B-2r 350 watt head(new), and a homemade 4x10 cab(used). (Total Cost=$570) If you can get a good ampeg head I highly reccomend it. I love my B-2r it has really awsome clarity and a lot of warmth for a solid-state head.

I would buy a new head and a used cab and here's why.

If you buy a used amp, and it breaks on a gig your pretty much out of luck.
    But if you buy a used cab and it breaks, you can always run your amp through the P.A.

Hope this helps,
    Greg P