1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What cabinet/head do you recommend??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alyosha09, Jul 27, 2000.

1. Alyosha09

Alyosha09

Jun 16, 2000
    I have a great bass ,Ibanez SR1015 ($901) and an ok amp, Peavey TNT 100 (150 watts). I saved up for these all by myself. I am only 14, and just to refresh your memmory, at 14, not many people have a lot of cash. In fact now I am in debt! I am a very serious bass player, so I want the best quality cabinet and head possible. Im looking in the range of $100 to $500. Do you reccommend used heads? please help, and give me prices if possible!!

Im very grateful!

Thank you so much!!!

------------------
    Life is Short,
    Bass is Cool.

[This message has been edited by Alyosha09 (edited July 27, 2000).]

2. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    yeah, I hear you with the money thing. I wouldn't have gotten such an expensive bass and saved more for the amp. Anyway to get a head and cab for $100-$500 then you have to go used. I found www.ugbm.com has a lot of good stuff. That website has a lot a peavey 115 Blackwidows for around $200 those are great cabs especially for rock. There a peavey megabass heads there for $250. You might not want another peavey but for that price you can't really afford to. Maybe you could sell your bass and get a cheaper one so you could have more $$$ for the amp. I got my Ibanez 300ATK used in beautiful condition for $350.

3. I agree about www.ugbm.com. it's a great site. I got my Peavey 4x10 with a tweeter for only $200. now I'm waiting for my hartke 350 watt head to come in =) ($360 from www.zzound.com). try to get a new head.. but whatever you can afford.. don't wanna get too far in debt =). don't forget to try the stuff before you buy =P get the tone you want with the $$ you have.

-Willz

[This message has been edited by ikickuintheballs (edited July 30, 2000).]

4. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    Maryland
    Hello,

If your range is $100-500 you're probably going to have to go at least 50% used. By the way their is nothing wrong with that. I get 3/4 of my gear used. Here's what I would recommend.

A new Peavey head
    A used ampeg Cab

My rig consists of an Ampeg B-2r 350 watt head(new), and a homemade 4x10 cab(used). (Total Cost=$570) If you can get a good ampeg head I highly reccomend it. I love my B-2r it has really awsome clarity and a lot of warmth for a solid-state head.

I would buy a new head and a used cab and here's why.

If you buy a used amp, and it breaks on a gig your pretty much out of luck.
    But if you buy a used cab and it breaks, you can always run your amp through the P.A.

Hope this helps,
    Greg P