What cabinet is best suited for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Poopoutyouridea, May 1, 2012.

1. Been chasing myself in circles for ages about this one. Keep finding contrasting opinions everywhere.:meh:

I'm looking to expand out from combo territory. Got my eye on a head, but not sure about speaker choices. Gonna go with either a Fender, Peavey, Hartke, or Laney (That's all there is in my area) Here's why.

(A) I love the bright, poppy, 4x10 tone. The sort of punk-ish(?) tone from 10-inch speakers just sends goosebumps down my spine.

(B) On the other hand, I like the in your chest tone of a 1x15 as well. The 1x15 just gives me a feeling that the 4x10 can not but it can't handle certain stuff the 4x10 can as well.

So, what do I go with? A 4x10? Or a 1x15? Or both? :ninja:

2. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    a 410...out of your choices...hartke or Peavey

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    410s will kick you in the gut just as hard (harder actually) than a 1x15.
    Mixing cabs is, uh, less than optimal. If I were you, I would get 2 matching 410s and be done with it. That's what I run with a 1000 watt head and an RBI. It has massive low end response and massive volume. Do a search on "Mixing cabs" here and you will get all the information you need.

4. +1

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Whatever sounds best to you after trying them all. No one else can tell you what you like.

6. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    I would go with the 410 and like others have said add another identical 410 either now or later. Mixing as such a 410 and 115 is generally looked down upon on here, however if you are willing to try it perhaps it will work out for you. Peavey 410's are built like tanks and output massive and good tone. But out of what you mentioned perhaps Harke is a good choice because of the aluminum cone in their cabs it adds a nice brightness to the tone that really cuts through. As stated, Peavey cabs can be had for budget prices. Trolling Guitar Center's used site Harke 410's can be had for less than $2-300 as well.

7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    I prefer a 4x10 to a 1x15.
    I pumped a Hartke XL 4x10 for 10 years.
    Loved it, no issues.

8. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    2 15's kick butt. Start with one and then add one more later.

9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    15”, 3-way cabs are great. Avatar has the very popular TB153 and Carvin has a brand new BRX (their top of line) cab that’s also a 15” 3-way.

:bassist:

10. +1 to three way cabs if they are done right. There isnt a lot to mess up with a 115 or 215 cab. Its tried and true and with newer full range 15" drivers, you can get a hell of a lot of cab in a small package. 410's are in a similar boat as far as tried and true, but the cluster of speakers bring its own set of concerns.

All that said two or three way cabs can be amazing, but the reason they are is the engineering that goes into them. They can suck if that fore thought and planning isnt there. The original Avatar three way 15" cab is an example of this. They just put three drivers on a baffle and went to market with it. The cab got flamed here as it was less than spectacular, and the design changed to something better. It is by no means a great three way cab now, but its a lot better than some of the more traditional offerings. For the three way cab to be truly great there have to be very little compromises. Driver selection can not be compromised on, cross over design can not be compromised on, cabinet and port design can not be compromised on. If you give much or anything up a some of these points and it becomes a waste of effort and money. One specific place that Avatar has made a compromise is their box design. They use 3/4" ply wood, instead of 1/2" and proper bracing. This adds weight to the cab, it also makes the cab less expensive to make as they use standard box sizes and change out the baffle.

It should also be noted that the Avatar uses 3/4" ply on all their cabs, not just the TB153.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021