1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

What cabinet is similar to an Ampeg 410 HLF?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b-bottom, Aug 8, 2016.

1. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    I've had one of these cabs for awhile now and I dig everything about it, but the sound. It's too "Boomy" for my taste.

So can you tell me who makes a non ported 410 cab with a tilt back design similar to the Ampeg?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nobody that I know of.

jdubbass38 likes this.
  3. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    Cabs are all about sound, is the only thing that you like is that it tilts back and rolls? If that's the case then there are other options.

Sartori likes this.
  4. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Get a sealed 610 instead?

5. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    that's exactly the only thing that I like about it

Also a 610 is too big. I use the 410 for shows on the road or shows where I know the load in is going to be a pain. I take the Orange 2 1x15s for local and easy load ins

6. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    If you like the sound of the two 15s and if they're loud enough for you, you could get a nice folding cart (there's a thread on those now) and some bungee cords -- that'd give you some tilt-n-roll action for tough/faraway load-ins. You could also find a cab you like and put some casters and a handle/bar on it if you really want to -- a telescoping luggage handle would be cool, though I'd be worried it might rattle -- or have a cab made, if it came to that (I have two with wheels, from small builders). Since you're using two 15s, it doesn't seem that you're married to the 410 format, so there are lots of options. I don't know of any factory, sealed 410s that tilt-n-roll like the big HLF, though. I think that's usually reserved for bigger cabs.

Are these the cabs you're playing? Orange OBC115 1x15 I ask because those are ported cabs. If you like them a lot, I'd look into the cart. If not so much, or if you just want to have a second rig, I'd concentrate on finding something you like first -- seems that's the issue as much as or more than the rolling situation.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    newer traynor or vintage acoustic

8. b-bottom

b-bottom

Dec 18, 2006
    Knoxville TN
    thanks for the suggestions.

Those are the Orange Cabs that I have. I always dug the Ampeg 410 sealed cabs. So I may just look at those and a set of casters. I really like the overall design of the HLF. I just wish that I dug the sound

InhumanResource likes this.
  9. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    I always thought the HLF was a chunker, but the towel bar handle and the wheels on the angle are nice touches. Pics on the Ampeg site show the HE with four casters on bottom -- I don't think it comes with casters, but I could be wrong. That (four casters on the bottom) won't necessarily facilitate the same tilt-n-roll style you use with the HLF, which is a little taller in addition having the towel bar, but if you dig the cab I'm sure you'll figure out a way. I've considered putting two of these Casters/Feet, 3" Heavy Duty Flush Caster | Speaker Hardware on a cab before, but they require cutting into the cab, so you'd want to be really sure before putting them on (and use some weather strip around the cuts to help keep the seal airtight).

[​IMG]

In my case, I was looking at putting them on a three foot tall 2x12, which seems a more natural application for them than does a shorter 4x10, especially if you have to roll it a very long distance. A cart still doesn't seem a bad idea to me, but I'm sure you'll figure out what works best for you.

10. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I happen to use the double sealed 410 (410HE) setup. Easy to work with and sounds great.

Sartori likes this.
  11. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    I have one and it does come with casters.

12. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Ah! Well, then, there you go. Thanks for the info.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021