1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what cabinet(s) should I buy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by poor_gear_whore, Apr 14, 2006.

1. So I have recently picked up a acoustic 370. I am tryin to decide what cabinet(s) I should purchase to go with it. I thought about tryin to find the acoustic cab that was ment to be paired with this head originally but they are pretty hard to come by and I am not shure I would like how it would sound. I played it through a 6x10 cab and thought it sounded great. So I guess I want something with a pretty quick response. But it also needs to handle a low B very well. I would like any advice you all have. And or expirence with this head and various cabs. Sorry for the typical "what cab should I buy" thread. Thanks.

2. why not just buy that same 6x10 that it sounded so great through?

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If you're planning on playing outside this festival season, by all means score a folded horn 18... If you want to use that rig inside, that 6x10 doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

Wth a 370 you've got tone controls and a graphic EQ so cab choice isn't a huge deal. You could easily run a couple of 2x10's or a 1x18 (front radiating like the Big Ben or Bag End) or a strong 2x15 or a 2x10 & 1x15 stack. It's a fairly versatile if kind of 'grainy' sounding head.

Actually I'll bet a 370 driving a Bag End 1x18 would be a pretty cool old school sort of rig. I'd like to hear that. Acoustic did sell a 1x18 front radiating cab for a while. I believe that it was intended for use with the 450/470. For Acoustic heads those were pretty cool.

I ran a borrowed 450 on my SVT bin one night while the SVT head was in the shop. It was frighteningly fast and punchy ...

4. Because I run the 6x10 with my other head. I will be useing both rigs at the same time.

5. I think I am going to run a 4x10 and a 18 with this head. One of the local music stores has a hartke 4200 4x10 and a hartke 18 that I am going to go and try tomarrow.

6. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I run a Hartke 4200 and it handles the low B nicely - it's a 4ohm cab.

7. Yeah I just looked at the ohm ratings on both cabs and they are 4ohm so I will berunning at 2ohms total for maximum juice.:)

8. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I am going to run at 2 ohms also , putting 2x12 under the 4200