1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What cabinet to use with a SWR Super Redhead?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Berger912, Oct 4, 2009.

1. ok the title says it all i am currently using a Goliath Jr III 8ohm but there is something missing in my sound. please help.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    is the internal cab in the super redhead 8 ohms or 4 ohms? back in the day the redhead and the goliath jr were only avail in 4 ohm versions but the "head" was always two ohms stable.

what are you looking for that's missing?

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    It would probably work better with a 4 ohm cab. The super redhead can operate at full power at 2ohm. I used an aguilar s210 cab. I like it because it is rear ported. I also like the amp with the goliath Jr. II for the same reason. You could also consider adding a 115

4. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I run mine with a Goliath Jr. III, 4-ohm version. I stack the amp and cab on their sides.

5. i am missing some fullness.
    anyone used a Son of Bertha with the super redhead?
    maybe a Goliath 4x10 cab?

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    how many ohms is the internal cab??? 4 or 8????? this is a crucial piece of information

FWIW, back in the day a redhead with a triad sounded nuts...

7. internal Cabinet is 4 ohms 2ohms it the min

8. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I think that the internal cabinet is 8 ohms. So, if you pair it with a 4x10, I think you'd want to use a 4-ohm version so that the extension cabinet would draw twice the amp power that the internal cabinet does. That way, all of the 10" speakers would be receiving the same power, whichever cabinet they were in.

That would be a 2.67 ohm load to the amp, which I assume is OK on that product from the other comments.

EDIT: check that, I was wrong...the internal cabinet is a 4 ohm cabinet. So, I think the best extension option would be another 4-ohm cabinet, maybe a second 2x10.

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ah so any 8 ohm cab you use will only get 1/2 the power of the internal cab. well, as big as a pain as it it, your best bet is to drag it to some music stores and try out some cabs with it.

10. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    Was the tried and true pairing back in the day.

Cheers,
    Cameron