Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Nuno A., Nov 21, 2001.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    Hello there.
    I recently bought a peavey digital bass head(peavey mega bass) and a combo(peavey 15" speaker-150w)
    I bought them because they were in an old shop and i payed something like $100
    The combo is useless for urb,just sounds bad,but the head(which i had already played with in the past) sounds quite good and offers 7 band eq + bi amp.
    My questions are....
    Is there a way i can conect this head with the combo(to
    use the speaker)?
    If not , is there a way i can take the speaker off and built my own cabinet)???
    And if i'll buy a speaker,what would you advise??A 15" speaker or 2x10"???
    Currently i'm playing with a boogie-woogie,blues jazz trio and a 4 piece swing blues band.
    Its a fact that i like a nice bottom sound,would i have it with the 10"???
    Thank you to you all.

2. Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I'm sure there's a way to bypass the amplifier in you combo. I think you have to fiddle with it for a while.

Personally, I use a Mark III series head with an SWR 2X10. Awsome sound!

I've heard that a 15" might actually be a little too big for good UB sound. Good luck!
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Remove the amp chassis from the combo amp. You may have to cut the wires going to the speaker.

Splice additional speaker cable onto the wires coming off the speaker and wire up a 1/4" plug on the end.

Connect speaker plug to ONE side of the MegaBass, run the amp in full-range mode NOT biamp.
  4. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I haven't had the chance to try cabinets other than my Eden 410 but I must say that it does a great job with my URB.It's deep and tight. I don't think a 210 would get as deep and a 115 would be more boomy. The downside is, of course, the 98 lbs. But I like it so much I'm not considering another cab.
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I've generally had the best luck with 12" speakers. 10" speakers can get pretty thin in a dry room, and 15" speakers are too sloppy. I currently use a Hevos 10" cab -- pretty good in the small, boomy rooms that you tend to play in NYC. I have a Bag End 15" which I probably wouldn't really like unless I were outside, which I haven't had a chance to try with that cabinet yet. I'm planning to contact Hevos and see if they'll make a 12" version of the cabinet that I currently have as they don't make one at present. I think bag end makes a small 12" bass cabinet. Also, a smaller box on whatever kind of speaker you get tends to help out, which really limits your choices. Most cabinets are tuned for the Slab, which doesn't help us on The Bass side of the under-world too much...