What cabinets are Ashdown owners using?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassment zombie, Nov 14, 2003.

1. I've placed my order for an ABM 500 EVO II, and am contemplating my next move(s), cabinet-wise...

I'm curious to hear my fellow Ashdown head owners are using for their rigs - have you found particular cabinets to compliment the Ashdown better than others, and vice-versa? Hopefully, I'd like to hear from folks who have tried multiple cabinets...thanks :)
  2. I've heard 'not so good' things about the Ashdown cabs, as compared to others. Have you A/B'd yours with other cabinets?

I also should have been more specific in my initial post: obviously, top-end/boutique cabs like Bergantino's, etc. are going to sound great. I'm mostly curious to hear about 'middle of the road' cabinets and how you've found them to fare...thanks.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I use an EBS 311 cabinet with an Ashdown ABM300. I don't think it's an ideal combination, but it definitely works and I got great deals on both.
  4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm using Genz Benz cabs in my rig with an RPM-1. IMO the Benz cabs are a little less colored than the Ashdown product and I'm happy with them. I did have the cabs before I got the RPM-1 and I have no immediate plans to make any changes. Down the road I will be looking to either replace the current cabs or to add more diversity to my gear. I'll be looking at Bergantino & Genz Benz as my primary choices when it's time.
  5. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I have a rp1 pre and use bergantino cabs. I had a swr 8x8 that I think would work very well with your ashdown head, both power and sound. The ashdown being thick and warm and the swr 8x8 being tight and low. You can find a used swr 8x8 for about $400 - $600 used. Good luck.
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I tried a few different combinations when I picked up my current rig last summer, and I was quite happy with the Ashdown / Ashdown combination I ended up with (Mag 250 head / Mini ABM 1x15 cab).

They sound fine... and of course, they look good together as well :D

7. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    I have an ABM300-C100 combo with the
    10" speaker. I have problems with the
    E string with a drummer (although it's
    better than my SWR Baby Blue).

When needed, I complement it with a
    Bag End S15D (punchy lows), or an
    Epi T112 (huge sound, but needs my
    Sans Amp BDDI to sound good).

Big sound from a small package

Phil Anderson
    Tucson, AZ
  8. 2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    I'm using two mini 4x8 with my ABM500.
    Sounds great to me:D
  9. no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I use a mini 115 and mini 112H with my ABM300 EVO.

It sounds great with my G&Ls...

10. My ABM300 gets either a Mini110T and a Mini112T or a Boxter 2x8. The 900 goes through a Bergantino NV610. Rockin'!
  11. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I use two Epifani T-112's with my ABM 500RC EVO. I really dig this combination because it gives me the Ashdown warmth, along with the hi-fi tones of the 112's.