1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What cabinets sound best for a low b

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dustklose, Mar 27, 2005.

1. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    hi, i own a 5er and i want a cabinet that willl pick up the low b w/ eaze....i know the acme low b series will...but is there anything just a lil cheaper? just wondering...

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I wouldn't expect anything less expensive than ACME to do as good of a job. Andy's cabs are stupid good for the money, and they do a low B like nobody's business. Some more expensive cabs can hang with them, but less expensive cabs will have a hard time matching the low B performance of ACME cabs.

That said, I really like Low Down Sound and Dr. Bass cabs. But ACME's have an edge in the lowest frequencies...

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    seriously,

the acmes are an incredible bargain for the tone they give up. andy makes good cab.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    With carefull shopping and a bit of luck, you can find some bargan priced used Acmes. A few years ago, I bought a barely used 4 ohm B2 Series II for just $149 at a Music Go Round store...

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I agree with everybody else. There are cabinets that cost more that are as good(and more efficient) for a low B, but you are not going to find anything as good for less. I am really surprised that Acmes don't cost more than they do.