Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What cabinets sound best for a low b

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dustklose, Mar 27, 2005.

1. dustklose

dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    hi, i own a 5er and i want a cabinet that willl pick up the low b w/ eaze....i know the acme low b series will...but is there anything just a lil cheaper? just wondering...

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I wouldn't expect anything less expensive than ACME to do as good of a job. Andy's cabs are stupid good for the money, and they do a low B like nobody's business. Some more expensive cabs can hang with them, but less expensive cabs will have a hard time matching the low B performance of ACME cabs.

That said, I really like Low Down Sound and Dr. Bass cabs. But ACME's have an edge in the lowest frequencies...

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    seriously,

the acmes are an incredible bargain for the tone they give up. andy makes good cab.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    With carefull shopping and a bit of luck, you can find some bargan priced used Acmes. A few years ago, I bought a barely used 4 ohm B2 Series II for just $149 at a Music Go Round store...

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree with everybody else. There are cabinets that cost more that are as good(and more efficient) for a low B, but you are not going to find anything as good for less. I am really surprised that Acmes don't cost more than they do.