1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What cabs are you guys matching up with KERN pre's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cory, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Cory

Cory

May 16, 2004
    TEXAS
    I've got a killer Kern pre that I absolutely love. Hands down....my favorite pre to date.

I'm running it with a QSC PLX amp. I've tried mine with either an EA VL-210 or an EA CXL-112E and had good results with small venues. Looking for a larger cab to use with large venues. Didn't care for how my Eden 410 cab sounded with it.

Just curious what kind of cabs you guys are matching up with your Kern preamps.
    Thanks!

2. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    I'm currently using an EV B2150M; but then, that's the only cab I have.
    Whether I use my Kern, my LowEnd True Voice, or my [SFX]; they all sound good through the EV.

3. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Cory,

I have a Kern/QSC rig too. It doesn't surprise me that your Eden 410 cab didn't sound all that great (assuming it is an XLT cab). I had that cab years ago, and I sold it soon after buying it because it just didn't have a full sound. It was too mid-bumpish and didn't have any lows. Those Eden XLT cabs are known for that.

I currently have a pair of Eden D210XST's, and the rig sounds good....much better than the XLT 410 cab. This rig is good for small to medium gigs, but not large gigs. Just yesterday, after months of research, I finally pulled the trigger on ordering a pair of LDS (Low Down Sound) fEarful 15/6 cabs. These cabs will provide all of the bass frequencies I will ever want or need, at any volume I could ever envision. You might look into something like that. The fEarful design far outperforms *ANY* mass produced cab.

4. Lobaw

Lobaw

May 14, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Hey there Cory:

I'm glad you're enjoying the rig. When I had it, originally I used it with 2 Acme Low BII 2x10 cabs. It was absolutely massive sounding. But ... it is an acquired taste and the cabs are hungry, hence the 2402. If you know someone in your area who has the Acme cabs, you should give it a spin.

Take care, Brad

5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Typically I use an old Hartke 410xl. I love that cab.
    I also love the Kern pre-. Don't know what i'd do without it.

6. Cory

Cory

May 16, 2004
    TEXAS
    thanks to all that have posted so far. Yes, the Eden cab is an XLT. It's been my practice cab in our practice studio for a long time. I appreciate all the input so far.

The Kern pre is hands down my favorite pre to date. I am flat out floored with it. My Aggi 680 hasn't turned on since...:bawl:

Thinking a road trip to try out cabs is due soon......