1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What cabs from a Mono Bi amp? it's a Trace Elliot

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lo Jo, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Lo Jo

Lo Jo

Mar 22, 2005
    Hopefully someone can help me out of my confusion. :confused: I have an old Trace AH350X which is as far as I can tell, mono Bi amp. Having read lots of other threads I'm getting confused as it seems that usually there is a low and hi channel. :( My amp has a channel B "full pass suitable for 4, 8 or 16 Ohms" and a Channel A "Hi pass suitable for 8 or 16 Ohms". Niether of these can be adjusted or switched in any way.
    What I am confused about is:
    1) if you don't plug anything into the hi pass channel and only use the full pass @ 4 ohms are you getting less than full power from the amp? :meh:

2) can I put an 8 ohm load on the Hi pass channel AND a 4 Ohm load on the Full pass? Or would this lower the impedance too much and fry things???? :eyebrow: Or do you consider the channels seperately for calculating impedance loading? ie put 8ohms on the Hi, and 4 Ohms on the Lo?

Does Bi amping like this sound any good anyway? If so, which size cabs on which channel?
    Basically I just want to get the full power (and volume ;) ) out of my amp, with a nice clear tone.

I got hold of the manual off the net but it's for all Mk V amps, not the AH350X specifically, says only briefly to watch the impedances! Thanks for any help! :help: