1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Cabs Sound Best With Mesa 400+?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Folmeister, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    After some searching, I came to the conclusion that some people don't think that the Mesa 400+ sounds good with some of the newer. more popular cabs. So, I am curious, what cabs do sound good, aside from Mesa and Ampeg cabs, with the 400+?

2. winston

winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I had a Bass 400 (earlier model with 6-6550s) that sounded great with SWR Goliath III Jr. 2x10 and Son of Bertha 1x15 cabs. It was kinda noisy so I kept the hissy tweeters turned down. Dunno about the 400+ but to my ears the 400 worked a lot better with more modern, efficient cabinets than old ones.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am interested in this as well, as I am trying to find out what to drive with my Mesa Strategy 400. It just came in today, so I hope to begin putting it through its paces with my current cabs tonight. All of my cabs are ported/vented, though, and I hear that tube amps work best with sealed cabs. Along those lines, the Bergantino NV-line is highly thought of, and certainly near the top of my list.

4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I have had better luck with 10s cabs. A Powerhouse 1000(4-10+115), Ampeg 8-10, Eden D410xlt with and without a 210xlt. I bet it would sound KILLER with a pair of Hartke 4.5xl cabs.

5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    BUMP! I can't believe that no one is using a 400+ with Bergies, Aggies, Eppies, or Schroeders! Come on. . . . . .

6. Lockout

Lockout Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    From what I've read here (no personal experience), Bergantino NV610's make a great match for the Mesa 400+.