Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Cabs Sound Best With Mesa 400+?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Folmeister, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    After some searching, I came to the conclusion that some people don't think that the Mesa 400+ sounds good with some of the newer. more popular cabs. So, I am curious, what cabs do sound good, aside from Mesa and Ampeg cabs, with the 400+?

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I had a Bass 400 (earlier model with 6-6550s) that sounded great with SWR Goliath III Jr. 2x10 and Son of Bertha 1x15 cabs. It was kinda noisy so I kept the hissy tweeters turned down. Dunno about the 400+ but to my ears the 400 worked a lot better with more modern, efficient cabinets than old ones.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am interested in this as well, as I am trying to find out what to drive with my Mesa Strategy 400. It just came in today, so I hope to begin putting it through its paces with my current cabs tonight. All of my cabs are ported/vented, though, and I hear that tube amps work best with sealed cabs. Along those lines, the Bergantino NV-line is highly thought of, and certainly near the top of my list.

4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I have had better luck with 10s cabs. A Powerhouse 1000(4-10+115), Ampeg 8-10, Eden D410xlt with and without a 210xlt. I bet it would sound KILLER with a pair of Hartke 4.5xl cabs.

5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    BUMP! I can't believe that no one is using a 400+ with Bergies, Aggies, Eppies, or Schroeders! Come on. . . . . .

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    From what I've read here (no personal experience), Bergantino NV610's make a great match for the Mesa 400+.