What cabs + SWR SM-500 = Marcus Miller sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Music Attorney, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Music Attorney

Music Attorney

Feb 22, 2004
    I’m looking for a cabinet/cabinets to go with my SWR SM-500. My main goal is that Marcus Miller sound. I plan on getting an MM4, but may step up to the MM5. Either way, one of them will be part of the setup. I also have a custom 5 string.

The next priority is portability/weight. I tend to favor the sound of one 4x10 cab, but I just don’t want to haul around something quite that big and heavy anymore. I’m hoping to come close to that sound by running two 2x10 cabinets. I like the idea of two 2x10 cabinets running in stereo. I’ve read on this site that my amp will run more efficiently by running it through two 4 ohm cabs in stereo. I can also take advantage of the stereo effects of my Mini Mo.

Naturally, SWR Goliath Jr. III’s are on my short list. Someone owes me a favor and I can get them new for about $400 each. That price range is doable, but I’d certainly be happy spending less. Should I even buy cabinets new? Any thoughts on that point specifically? I play for fun and mostly will be jamming in small rooms/studios and possibly playing in smaller clubs. Therefore, I don’t need and don’t want to pay for cabinets like AccuGrove, etc.

Obviously, this is a highly subjective area of discussion. I just want to draw on the vast collective experience of the TalkBass forum members. My goal in asking is simply that if a large number a people respond and say you should try cabinet X or cabinet Y, then my guess is that those cabinets will be a great start and hopefully provide me with what I want while spending a minimum of time looking for it. I simply don’t have the time to try out a bunch of different cabinets.

Therefore, given that my goals are the MM sound, portability, less weight, the ability to handle both a 4 and 5 string bass, and all for around $300-$400 for each cabinet, what do you suggest? Thanks.

2. For that Marcus Miller sound, all you need is a Jazz Bass and Marcus Miller :p

Seriously, If you are interested in what he used in the past for that signature sound, check out the April '98 Bass Player interview with him. This is available free at http://archive.bassplayer.com/ . Just look under "Players" then scroll down to Marcus. Also check out www.marcusmiller.com under FAQ.

Best of luck!
  3. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    My set-up is similar to his, and i don't sound ANYTHING like him. Must be all that talent he has. Anyone know where I can get some of that stuff? ;)
  4. Music Attorney

Music Attorney

Feb 22, 2004
    Growlngrind: Thanks for the point to the article and his website (which I regularly visit). The article mentions he used Goliath 4x10 cabinets which I know about. I have a 4x10 set up now (not SWR), but I want to get as close as possible using two 2x10 cabinets.

AJ Love: The link you provided talked about which amp Marcus is using now (i.e., EBS). I have the SM-500 so that will have to do. I’m looking for his earlier sound. Thanks, though.

Fred312b: Are you saying the SWR stuff doesn’t come with a guarantee that you will sound exactly like him (chops, taste, sound, and all) if you use their equipment? ;-)
  5. No problem brother :cool:

I would compare the buddy deal on those GIII Jr. cabinets to the used prices on ebay. I have my own opinions when it comes to buying new gear, and most of them involve not buying any. This is because you usually take a big loss should you decide you want something different later. I prefer to get good quality used gear from ebay or bass shops. Even more, I like to buy demos and floor models or recent returns, so I can still get the waranty but still save some major bucks. In the past two years, I have been through a ton of different amps, basses, and cabinets trying to find the new sound I've been looking for. In almost every case, I made money selling the used stuff I did not keep on ebay. On the few new pieces I bought and sold, I lost several hundred dollars.

Enough on that rant. As far as whether you can get buy with two Jr's, as long as the frequency response is similar you should be fine. I am assuming that SWR uses the same drivers and tweeters in both cabinets. I would say the biggest difference you would notice is a lower volume than two 410's, due to less air movement. On the other hand, you will obviously be able to get much more power and headroom out of your head using two 8ohm 210's instead of one 8ohm 410. I used one Goliath III with an SM 500 bridged mono, and even at 8ohms it was loud enough for anything I would ever do. But, like you, I wanted to go with lighter and smaller gear. I now use two Bergantino 112s and I love them, but I don't go for anything close to a Marcus sound. You will prolly want to stay with tens for that one.

There's my two cents worth. :)
  6. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Something just occured to me (and i might be mistaken). All the Marcus SWR stuff I've ever seen had him using Goliath 2's (which you can surely get on the bay, but they don't have speakons, so if you have a newer sm500, you'll need to get a speakon to banana if you wanna' run it mono), not the current 3's, which, to my understanding are voiced a little different (more low ended, "muscular" sound). i have a goliath 3, so that might explain why i don't sound like him ;-) now he uses EBS 4x10's, i believe... :bassist:
  7. Music Attorney

Music Attorney

Feb 22, 2004
    Fred312b: good point re: sound of Goliath Jr. II’s versus III’s.

Anyone want to comment further on the sonic differences between the two?

I will be playing an MM5, among other things, through the cabinets so if one model or the other handles the low B better, then that would be an added consideration in addition to the goal of that “Marcus” sound.

Thanks in advance.
  8. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    I had a Goliath II 4x10,and traded it for a Goliath III,and IMO the II had a sweeter,and musical tone than the III,and if I can find a II in near mint condition,then I will gladly trade the III for it.
  9. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    What Marcus says here we need to all think about:

"Many musicians spend too much time looking for new equipment. I do think that you have to get your equipment right but do it quickly and then stop worrying about it. Do your research and get what you have to get, and then start thinking about music again."
  10. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    He's using pretty much the same setup - a small amp for pre amp, a large amp for power amp and two 4x10's. The only thing that's changed is the name of the company - EBS

11. bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Mr Miller is now using EBS amps and cabs. You really should check out the EBS 410. It sounds very good, and will go very well with your SM500, although you could do with a little more power...