Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What can a Bass amp really do?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KickAssBassist, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Me and my friend were fighting about my 100w. Peavy Bass Amp. I know you cant play a bass on a guitar amp. The speaker will blow if you turn it up too loud. But cant you put a guitar on a Bass Amp? well, you tell me
    Thanks

2. Yes of course you can. I play guitar on my Ampeg bass amps all the time. It's very loud.

3. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Only problem is, you won't get the same kind of distortion unless you use a pedal. Some bass amps sound even better than guitar amps on clean.

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I use my bass amp as an acoustic amp all the time. SOunds great.

Chas

5. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    The Fender Bassman (5f6A 4-10 tweed); one of the best guitar amps of all time.

Tapp

6. Of course you can
    Sometimes when one of my guitrists doesn't bring his amp to jams he plugges his guitar into my amp to (Fender Bassman).

Its not as good as using seperate amps but better than having to carry his.:D

ROCK ON
    SCODI

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    What can a bass amp do, well mine has taught my 18" drivers to roll over and play dead.

MIke:D :D :D

8. It's not uncommon for Jazz guitarists to use small bass amps for a fuller, mellower sound. I think they like them because they roll off the highs just where they like it.

Mike J.

9. Mike M,

Did you find out of the amp was the culprit?

Look into these 18"

Adire 18" Maelstrom Drivers

These are going to be my next set of subs.

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    my interstellar overdrive run straight into my goliath jr with the tweeter off is the best guitar amp i've ever heard.

jason

11. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Yes it was, once i put the filter in, no more problems....so far. Are these drivers for real? Let me know after you smoke test them. Does the dual 8 ohm voice coils make them 4 ohm?

12. Yeah, these drivers are for real.

I'm hooked up with a group of subwoofer builders, EE's and serious bass geeks. I'm looking into these drivers as the basis of a product line of powered subs targeted directly at 5-string bassists. It seems like stand-alone subs would almost have to be powered, so their volume can be adjusted to match them with whatever full range rig is being used. Subs are inefficient by design, and would be much quieter that a typical rig, especially the big Eden and SWR cabs.

The Maelstroms would work perfectly when bi-amped off the Carvin R-series heads that cross over at 200 Hz. Adire has them running in 5 cubic feet at 25 Hz with no ringing or overhang with electric bass in a church setting. The low tuning improves the group delay which is what bassists refer to as "fast" or "slow" speakers. The Maelstrom has a bit of a response breakup at 700 Hz due to the dust cap, but otherwise extends to about 1,400 Hz. Crossing over as high as 400 Hz is not a problem for it.

The dual voice coil is either 4 or 16 ohms by parallel or series connection. The specs on the Maelstrom are pretty close to my Rockfords, except the Maelstroms move more air and have a higher frequency response, but they don't go down quite as low as the Rockfords. The trade-off is they are +3dB louder than my Rockfords, and this is important. Required cabinet volumes are similar.

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think you may be on to something there, bruce. let me know when you've got some you'd like to test - i'd be happy to help you out :)

jason

14. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Sounds really great bruce, let me know your thoughts when you get them. If they test well, put me down for 4!!!

Mike

15. Guitar will sound fine on bass amp, but if you're looking for the same sound, turn up the treble a bit.

By the way scodi, you might want to get rid of all those periods by your name.