What can anyone tell me about a Kay S-9

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Jerry J, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I ran into a local shop today looking for some strings and ran across a Kay S-9. It's a blond laquer finish with ebony fingerboard and endpiece. The endpiece has the Kay emblem on it. It looks like the top may have separated from the side at one time and it looks like the repair was done with several globs hide glue. The joint looks solid but it's not all that pretty. Also, the wood in the middle of the heel of the neck has split. The neck seems solid but I guess this might be a concern. Other than that it plays and sounds great. And it looks so cool with the blond finish.

Considering the condition and what the bass is (I'm assuming that it was from the late 40's to early 50's) what would be a decent (fair) price? Approximately what would the repair costs run, i.e. hours involve for these type of repairs. The local shop charges $75 per hour. The setup is actually quite good. I found it much easier to play than my Englehart M-1.
  2. In a case like this, your best bet is to ask the seller if they would be willing to sell you the instrument on the condition (in writing) that you can return the bass for a full refund if it doesn't pass your luthier's inspection or if the repair costs are excessive. Most reputable stores are willing to do this is they have your money in hand while you have the bass out for inspection.