What can be used as a pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ThePaste, Mar 1, 2001.

1. I was looking at the Carvin catalogue at the XP-2 Multi Effects unit, and I was wondering if you could use it as a pre-amp? What other things can you use as pre-amps
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    In general you can use anything that gets your signal up to line level, ranging from distortion pedals, DI-boxes, FX units etc. up to highend preamps...

If you'll get a satisfactory sound with it is a different thing, though...
  3. True Dat, JMX
    I recently heard the Avalon U5 Di thru a Crown K1 and Eden 4x10XLT, WOW!!!!
  4. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I'm using a Raven-Labs PHA-1 headphone amp/preamp while the Navigator is in the shop.
  5. So I could use the XP-1 and a power amp and power a cabinet and it would work correctly right?
  6. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    I use a rack mounted split band compressor of all things. Rane DC24.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    @ ThePaste

I should work fine.

But as alway, try before you buy!

Have fun!
  8. Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    I once played with a guitarist who used a cassette deck as a pre amp. He had to have it set on record\pause for it to work. He ran it into a hi-fi stereo amplifier into home made "enema"-equipped speaker cabinets. All this to amplify some POS '69 Telecaster. Those were the days.
  9. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    You'll have more options if your bass is active with on board EQ(this is true even if plugged into an amp.) A simple tube preamp like the ART Tube PAC would sound nice and you could get your EQ from the bass in that scenario.
  10. What features does that ART have? Did you say it DID have eq?