What can give me tool punch and growl.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ashton, Mar 30, 2003.

1. ashton

Jan 4, 2001

through a rickenbacker 5 string detuned a little bit, what amp can give the most orgazmic sound.

im not looking for a billion watts, all tube preferably.

im thinking ampeg, gk......
    help me please :D
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+. Less expensive than the SVT, half the weight, and 200 more watts. Hmmm....

3. That's not quite right, actually.... Compared to an SVT Classic the 400+ is a bit cheaper and lighter, but it's 0 more watts than the SVT. It might even be less. You can get about 22-25W out of a 6L6 at best. Do the math. Don't get me wrong, I think the 400+ is a great amp and will deliver the Tool grind, but Mesa Boogie needs to stop telling people it's a 500W amp, because it just isn't true.
  4. Well, Justin does use Mesa boogie stuff, but he uses 8x8 cabs, which gives it a lot of growl. And I think the Wal bass doesn't hurt this growl at all. Get Mesa stuff, and a Wal bass:bassist:
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    tool's recording engineer.
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    and their recording budget........
  7. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    yup. you'll get plenty of growl outta the 400+. believe me.
  8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Get a guitar tube preamp, and use it in the send and return of your amp... I use a peavey rockmaster... It has four 12ax7's... It has great growl...

9. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    yeah I remember from somewhere that he used some guitar tech stuff to get 'his' sound. ill give the peavey stuff a look, btw I have a peavey amp for sale if anyone at all is interested.

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My Mesa Boogie tube rigs and my Czech Spector 4string give the Tool sound just right!
  11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The Warwick Thumb bass has great growl to it (if you can handle the neck profile--personally, I don't like the neck, but I love the sound).

The Mesa-Boogie M-2000 with a mix between the SS preamp and tube (with some overdrive cranked) preamp gets a good growl also.
  12. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Justin Uses 2 Mesa/Boogie M-2000's Live w/ his 2 8x10 Mesa/Boggie Roadready... On the Album he recorded w/ 1 mesa/boogie M-2000 and 1 Mesa/Boogie 400+ both thru 8x10's....
  13. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    can a hartke on the right settings or with a better preamp give similar sound? any advice?
  14. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

According to his article in bassplayer magazine,he used a Sansamp RBI preamp to record "Schizm".
    I'm willing to bet the engineer mixed that signal with the signal from a 400+,because I've owned an RBI.
    I came REALLY close to nailing the tone exactly,but the RBI alone doesn't reproduce the "weight" of the recorded bass tone on that track.
    You can find an RBI used online if you look hard enough.