1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What can I do to boost gain?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bgartist, Oct 12, 2009.

1. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I've got a bass with Bart BC pickups and a Glockenklang preamp. I gives me the tone in my head but the output is considerably lower than any of my other basses. Other basses have Bart pickups and pre, Lakland pickups and pre, and Nordstrand pickups with 18v Aguilar pre. Is there anything I can do to boost the 1st one (my favorite)?

2. bgartist

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Anyone???

3. The first thing to do is see if there is a volume trim pot inside the control cavity of the bass with the Glock. Often, you can adjust the output of these preamps to 'match' each other.

If it doesn't have a trim pot, and your aren't switching back and forth between basses on the gig, then it really isn't an issue. Just turn up the gain on your amp when using that bass.

If you are switching back and forth between basses of different outputs, and only have a one channel amp, them a unit like the Bassbone can help, or even the new 'boost' pedal from Markbass, for example.

K

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

5. if not bass eq, just go with the gheaper electroharmonix lpb1

6. basspro

basspro Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Las Vegas,NV
    The Lakkies with Barts do have a trim pot inside that you can boost up, and the Glock should have one as well.
    With some basses, i use my amp that has gain,volume and master and boost the gain and volume up quite high and control volume with the master to make it cut through.

7. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Move the pick ups closer to the strings :cool:

8. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I've got a Seymour Duncan "pickup booster" if you want it.
    6 to 25 DB boost class A clean.

Really good sounding..

9. bgartist

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The Glock does not have the trim pot. This is in my modified Pedulla Thunderbolt. I do switch between basses and have a single channel amp. I will look into the options mentioned - never heard of the Duncan pickup booster.

10. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    Xotic RC booster ;)

11. dasto

dasto

Sep 15, 2007
    Switzerland
    I had a similar problem with my noll preamp. When I contacted Klaus Noll he gave me the advice to install his pa1 preamp in addition to gain another 15dB: http://www.noll-electronic.de/sites_e/pa1.html

The installation was easy and I am satisfied with the result. I contacted Klaus Noll directly and he was very helpful to find a solution and providing for installation instructions.