Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Can I do to improve my rigs tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Jul 2, 2004.

1. I have an ampeg 410hlf cab, ampeg svt5pro head, and a bbe 882i sonic maximizer. I'm looking for more of a compressed tone. is there any rack mount compressors out there sub100 dollars that will add to the tone, or is it not worth it, and it will just mud up the tone? the compressor on the svt5 isn't really doing much.

2. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    It depends on a number of things....I would start with eq settings on the Ampeg (with the sonic maximizer out of the loop). Plus....how about the bass you are using? Different strings can change things too.

You have a killer setup, there must be something you can do without adding more equipment into the signal chain.

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    How are you using the built-in?

To get a compressor to work, you have to give it some input, meaning turn up the gain to get more signal in. On a separate type, you would use the input gain (whatever name it is actually labeled) to set compression, and use an output level control to set level.

For the built-in on the 5PRO, there are no separate gain and level controls, those functions are already in place. The input gain is what you would turn up to get more compression.

EQ is also before compression, so that affects it also. The master sets the level as usual.

Watch out with EQ, compression tends to exaggerate the effect of EQ a bit. A lot of low boost might mud things up more than you expect.

In the 5PRO the compressor is right before the effects loop and master. It is after the Gain, Lo Mid Hi, Ultra-low and Ultra HI.

If you don't get enough compression, try turning up the gain.

But, if you really want your sound sat on by an elephant, outboard compressors will work.......

4. Hahhahaa "But, if you really want your sound sat on by an elephant, outboard compressors will work......."

I traded my DigiTech bass squeeze pedal straight up today for a Behringer Autocom. I didn't lose any money, I just want to see what this can do. Thanks for the help, I've been noodling with the gain and compression that are built in already, I'll see what else I can do. I want a nice compressed un-muddy tone. Think Stefan Lessard

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've usually found the best way to improve tone is to remove gear. Try removing the BBE, and then work with your amp settings to achieve the tone you want. If you give it an honest shot to get a good tone with less gear, and still can't get it, then slowly start adding gear back in.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Your amp won't know what the hell hit it! -

[​IMG]

7. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Ding ding ding... we have a winner!

8. I have the tone I'm looking for, yay. I set the behringer autocom in the clean channel, the 882i in the overdrive channel and i worked it from there. sounds b-e-a-utiful.