What can I do to improve singing my solfege?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lowend4s, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    Is there some sort of excersise? I sing along to my major scales but I just dont know how to use my voice.
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

One thing our vocal coach had us do was sing a note, then play that note on the piano and hear if we were close to that pitch. For example, if he said sing "re", we'd sing it, then check our pitch against "re" on the piano.

You can do the reverse if that is too hard. Play the note on the piano, then sing it, then play it again to check.

If you don't have a piano, use your bass, but that was harder for me. The piano was easier to "hear."

Oh, two other things that helped my vocal intonation. One, I had an actual pitch fork that played "la" (A). I'd tap it hard on something, then hold it to my ear. Then I'd sing "la." I did that many times over a period of a few weeks. Believe me, I learned to sing a perfect "la."

Two, I had a pitch pipe and worked at blowing various pitches and singing them. I worked hard at that, but my bass teacher told me the pitch pipe was actually flat. So I guess I taught myself badly with that, but if you can be sure your pitch pipe is true, that is a good way to learn solfege.

For me, the tuning fork was much clearer and easier to hear, because once you make it ring, you can put it right to your ear and hear it very clearly.

Oh, when you are fairly sure of your ability to sing individual notes well, try to sing scales and check them with a piano the same way.
  3. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    exersizes for your voice is important just like they are for any instrument. But don't try to hard to sound like someone else, many great vocalists are remembered because they are unique. And if you're in a punk or garage band, be aware of the flexiblity of language and pronounciation. ee's are interchangable with ay's. and er's can be replaced with a ya sound. Just experiment.
  4. Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    1stly: Im an extremely ****ty singer .....I make dogs cry

2ndly: I regretfully had to dabble in solfege at uni for my aural class. Although, like anything, practice makes perfect, i found that the ONE thing that improved it 100%, was to not be tentative when singing the notes. Be confident in yourself that you know the notes, then let 'em rip.........apart from that, practice practice practice
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    This is true.

Not having enough lung pressure when you start a note or dying before the note finishes will usually move you in and out of pitch pretty obviously.

A good vocal coach teaches breathing as a root of singing well. If you are really interested in learning to sing, get a decent teacher and practice.