1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What can I expect from a Delano P-pup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Oct 24, 2010.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

I'm thinking of going with a PMVC 5 FE/M2 to be used in conjunction with a ceramic MM-style pickup.

Anyone have experience with it? What kind of tone doe is have? I'm not looking for a "traditional" P-tone per say, looking for more aggressive, modern sounding thunder that's a bit different than the MM pup.

pmvc5fe.

2. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    I used to have one of these, and if the string spacing matched my bass then I would still have it.

It is everything you have described it to be - very punchy, modern, aggressive when you play it hard, and still lots of midrange detail on top of the very solid foundation of the fundamental. It has much of the warmth of the vintage pickup but the top end is completely different.

I recommend!

3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

awesome!!
    thanks!

4. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    for the record, what is the string spacing on that pickup??

5. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    I think my particular pickup was built for 15.5mm spacing, and my bass had a spacing around 17mm at that position. It was a bit of a mystery, since I purchased the bass body its pickups together as a package deal.

But Delano can usually make these for any string spacing. I think mine was narrower than the pickup in the image that eastcoasteddie provided. That one looks closer to 17mm.

6. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I own the pickup you have in the 4 string version, and I love it its far from a vintage tone but very aggressive and punchy. It handles drop tunings better then any other pickup I have tried. It just sounds cleaner and very growly for drop tunings. Im running it in a pj set up with the matching delano j pickup they sound great. But they were the most expensive set of pickups I ever got but well worth it

7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    that sounds like exactly what I need... thanks guys

P.S. what's the difference between the M2 and non-M2 version?

8. I don't suppose you have any soundclips of that PJ set, do you?

9. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    i have these coupled with the jazz bridge version. as was mentioned, aggressive and full range indeed ;)

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    If you look under the description, you'll see a circle or a triangle. One denotes a split coil, the other denotes a hum-canceller. Also, in the description, one is recommended for a J in the bridge position, the other is recommended for an MM in the bridge position.

I suspect that one of the two has one coil RWRP of the other coil.

11. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    One of the split coils can't be mixed with other pickups because both coils have the same magnetic polarity. So they have to be used in sets, or half of the strings will be out of phase between the two pickups.