1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What can I expect from a Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobm2112, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Hey guys. I am looking for a new sound. I have Jazz's P's MM's Warwicks. I was looking at a few very sexy Euro Spectors in the classifieds and was thinking about pulling the trigger on one.

I just never played one and have no idea what they sound/ feel like

I gambled on buying my Thumb just based on its reputation and couldn't have been happier with it so Im not afraid to buy .

Any info on tone, neck feel would be very helpful

Thanks
    Bob

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Sound wise spectors vary from ok to great sounding depending on the pups and electornics in them. The stock preamps in the lower end models are not very good imo. The pups in those are pretty good though. Overall spectors to me have a more middle of road voice thats well suited to less aggressive voices. Build and workmanship even on the lower end models is very good to excellent. For their higher end models Id say sound is very good but again more suited to middle of the road bass voices.

3. In general what you can expect from a Spector is awesome build quality and a bright/aggressive sound. My experience is with Spector Euros and USA NT basses. You get a whole lotta bass out of the Euro line. They balance well but tend to be on the heavy side but this depends a lot on the model and construction.

There is a sound difference between the P/J equipped 4 string and the EMG soap bar equipped 5 strings. The Soapbars tend to be fuller sounding and less aggressive (still pretty mean sounding, don't get me wrong). I think the P/J config is the traditional, in your face, Spector sound. String spacing on the 5ers is pretty narrow with a chunky neck. If you like your Warwick you'd probably dig the Spector.

Depending on whether you go new or used the preamp can vary a bit. A lot of people replace the tone pump preamp because it can be a bit overwhelming and a little tweak goes a long way. It's boost only and I think it sounds pretty good, it works well with the Aggressive Spector attitude. People prefer to cut treble with an active bass and I'm with 'em since the Spector tends to be naturally zingy. Go with whatever flavor suits you, I really dug the EMG BQC preamp in my Euro. I've tried the OBP-3 which was nice but not quite my cup-o-tea in a Spector. My USA with the Haz-Lab pre kills.

If you've got the Fender thing covered I think the Spector is a lovely and useful flavor. After going through many basses I'd say that a P, Jazz, thumb and Spector can get you pretty much any sound out there. A G&L, thumb and Spector would be even better :D

4. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    the nice thing about the spectors is that even on the cheap ones emgs can be dropped in.

5. I have 2 Euro 4 basses and I love them both, But am letting one go. They are my favorite neck to play and the build quality is outstanding. The Tone Pump preamp is LOUD and can be overbearing. it give 18db of BOOST ONLY no cut. 2 band eq. I tend to roll the bridge pup volume wide open neck volume around 3/4 to 7/8 and bump up the bass just a hair. Treble I am all over the place with depending on the song and style of playing, but rarely ever open it all the way up. The extremely high output of these instruments can lead to problems in your amp setup if using multiple basses with lower output in a set. I eventually used the foot switchable graphic eq section on my amp to help balance this out when switching from one of the Spectors to any one of my other basses, as well as having it there for effect is also nice. If you get a 35" scale model ( i have one 35 and on 34) the uppermost fresh can be awkward to reach.
    I would say that if you can find one to play, check it out. I bought both of mine blind and was exceedingly happy with both. The bridge is massive and brass as well as the nut on many models. ACtually some models have a blended alloy bridge, but if you can dig the gold color, get the brass bridge in my opinion as it has undeniable sustain and tone.

As you may can tell, I am a fan os Spector Basses. I have been playing my first one for over ten years and aside from some gig scratches and pitting gold hardware, it is like new. Very durable and well built.

6. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    +1

The tone pump is not boost only though. It does cut (-6 treb, -4 bass) but there is no center detent on the pots. I just dial it in, take the knob off and make it point to something as a reference point. There is a trim pot on the pre itself to adjust the overall output of the bass to get the levels where you want them.

Low B on the 5's reguardless of scale (older NS5CR's are 34", newer euro's are 35") is excellent. Probably the best B string out there.

Spectors are about as aggressive and growly as it gets but can mellow right out and do pretty much what ever you need. Ergonomics with the carved body are second to none.

Quality hardware, schaller or goth tuners, brass nuts on euro and us models. Bridges are alloy pro models, aluminum on rebops, zinc brass alloy on euro's , and solid brass on US models. Gold hardware is 24k plated I believe. Schaller strap locks come std on euro and US models. Control covers have brass threaded inserts for the screws on most models (except rebops).

Top notch customer service and genuine people who stand behind their product. Import models are more "mass produced" about 15 people in the shop. The euro basses and us basses are made pretty much all by hand (rough cnc for the neck shape consistency). There are only 7 people I believe in both the US and Euro shop. So even on the euro level your getting a custom hand made instrument.

7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I popped USA 18 volt pre-amps in both of my Spector Euro's with the EMG 40DC's - much cleaner tone overall and less output when compared to the Tone Pump. The Tone Pump is not boost only, but as posted earlier, no center markings.

Humbucker models are thicker sounding overall and can get growly with stainless steel strings.

35" scale does give the Spector a tighter string feel than your typical Fender bass. Some love this, others rather have less tension.

Nut width is 1.875" while your typical 5 string is right at 1.75". It's a little wider than the competition, but definitely unlike the wide spacing of the Warwicks and Sadowskys.

The P/J pickup design has LOTS MORE high end, growl and cut compared to the humbucker models.

The neck is thick too, very similar to a Warwick. I still find the Spectors easier to play though.