1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What can I expect from my new ESP with active EMG's?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by browntown, Jun 21, 2007.

1. I'm picking up my new LTD Viper 404 tomorrow (haven't played it yet)
    It is equipped with
    Pickups: EMG 35DC (B) / 35CS (N) Active
    Electronics: Vol / Bal w/ EMG B64 3-Band Active EQ

What do you know about these pickups and electronics?
    Oh, and a Balance knob blends between the two pickups, right?

Thanks for any info!
    I'll post some pics after I get it :hyper:

2. laboitenoire

laboitenoire

Jul 5, 2006
    Well, the EMG pups are really clean. The EQ is an older model, but it also has less headroom than the new control sets that EMG makes. And yes, a balance knob is a blend knob.

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Actually, the B-64 EQ is the newer, three band EQ that EMG sells as OEM to ESP. It is used on some of their current production basses. They used to use a B-30 EQ which has a wider Q for the three bands, and provides 12 db cut/boost as opposed to the 10 db on the B-64. Also, the B-64 is recommended to operate on 18 volts for greater headroom.

I think the active EMG's coupled to that EQ is a very flexible and great sounding system. Good luck and congratulations on picking up a sweet bass.

4. thanks guys

got it yesterday :)
    it looks awesome, has good tone (from what I can tell as a newb), and it plays pretty good, although the action is kind of high. I'm going to see about lowering it some.

5. Oh, I have some newbie questions too.. what does OEM mean?
    and what does "headroom" mean?
    ANd lastly, To acceive 18V you can just run two 9V batteries right? If the bass only came with one (I havent checked yet), how hard would it be to add another 9V to the circuit?

thx!

6. OEM refers to that it is original equipment from point of manufacture - comes standard. ESP produce awesome guitars - they are a key factory for many big brand names but since those brand names screw the manufacturer on price those products are down spec'd. ESP up spec their equipment and the price is fantastic for what you get. Love them!!!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021