What can I put in my rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Aug 4, 2005.

1. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Hey guys, I was looking around at rack cases and what not, and the smallest I can find is a 4u rack. The only problem is I'm getting a 2u poweramp and a 1u pre amp. What should I do with the empty rack space?

1)Leave it for air flow
    2)Rackmount tuner
    3)Power Condioner

What do you guys suggest?

2. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    use it to store your G.A.S. money.

Seriously, extra room to breath is a good thing. Also, Korg rack tuners make a great laser light show, you'll look so cool on stage!
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Get a cool multi-colored rack light. The QSC doesn't need an extra space for ventilation.

4. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Where could I get one of those???

The korq rack tuners I have read are cool as well.
  5. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    Color Changing Lights

http://www.idjnow.com/StoreModules/ProductDetails.aspx/PID=WERKLIGHT2000$BranchID=0$DepartmentID=358$Cate goryID=0$DeID=0

White Light

Funk Logic Digilog Dynamicator: Changes everything
  6. What is that Funk Logic thing? Does anyone have one?

Ok, I think I get it, it's just for looks!

Sorry I'm a little slow. :(

7. could always have a knightrider style light
  8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i'm just gonna go to a flea market type thing ( princess auto) get some flashing lights or whatever, drill some holes in my 1 space rack filler, and affix some plugs, and bam, instant rack case bling bling

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's pretty good and I've thought about them myself, but you need to buy 2 RNC's to pull it off correctly.

Having heard the difference with one, get a power conditioner with an LED voltage meter and pull out light....not as flashy as the Funk Logic, but would you rather have people mesmerized by you, or by the pretty fake lights behind you :eyebrow: :D
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, it's a $35 blank panel with fake knobs that looks really cool. A lot better looking than having tons of matching blank spaces IMO.

I use a 2U head in a 6U rack, leaving four empty spaces. I've got a power conditioner and a Korg Tuner. The Korg is very shallow and should be able to be put directly on top of your amp without adverse effects, should still leave the fan open if you have a top mounted fan. Seriously worth it to have a rackmount tuner IMO.

Below is my rack, top to bottom mounted is:
    Korg DTR-2 Digital Rack Tuner
    ART SP 4x4 Power Conditioner
    Funk Logic Digital Dynimicator
    Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III Head
    Blank panel w/ El Camino logo

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This is the one I bought: Odyssey Racklight. Pro Sound and Stage Lighting is where I bought it. Here's a link: Racklight.

12. Mr_McBride

Oct 9, 2003
    Acworth, Ga
    I would opt for the power conditioner. I bought one a couple of years and will never play without one again. I have played some outdoor gigs were the power was scarce and sometimes dirty, and was able to power the entire stage from my rack (no PA gear, though).

All this from a $35 Furman...best $35 I ever spent...
  13. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I would get a 1U plate with holes in it, then put a LED behind it. That way you get a cool light effect while have some extra space for ventilation. I dont think you need a power conditioner for only 1 2U unit.
  14. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    The power conditioner that I'm looking at is a Furman PL-8 II. Havn't read any reviews on it but it seems alright it says it has 2 LED lights on it for rack illumination so I guess that would work?

What do you guys say?
  15. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Actually now that I think about it, why don't I just get a rackmount tuner and a power conditioner.

Probably only cost me 200$ or so more. I'd have to get a bigger rack case but that isn't to big of a problem, if I wanted to I could just get a seperate rack case for my amp and pre and a seperate rack for my tuner and power conditioner.

To me that sounds like the way to go, I mean if this is going to be my first rig I might as well put some effort into making it a good one :)

So many options.

16. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I'd say get a 6 space rack. Then you'll have your 3 spaces already filled, then get a power conditioner and rack tuner. Put them all in the same rack. It's a real convenience to just show up and pull out one power plug and one speaker cable to connect and you're all set up. Don't mess around with two different racks. Another (much more functional) idea rather than pointless lighting would be to get a rack drawer. They can be pricey (I think my 2spc was about 80 bucks) but man, the convenience! I keep my cables, my footswitch, picks, and an extra set of strings on there. And during the set I keep my phone, keys, wallet in there, it's great to have everything I need in my rack. I suggest it.

I now have two empty spaces since trading out my ampeg svt3 for the sunn 300t. But oh well.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

Precisely....the best way to go IMO. And to save your back, check out the new rolling rack versions. They have wheels and a pull out handle like luggage. Myself, I'm getting an 8u Gator rolling rack. I only need 6u right now, but for $7 extra bucks, I can plan for the future...never know what G.A.S. might hit. :D

Sweetwater has a great deal right now, you can get the employee discount for most of their gear...800 222 4700 ext. 1358