Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What can I use to finish a fretless fingerboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Archon113, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Archon113

Archon113

Oct 21, 2004
    I've put several coats of what is supposed to be a very hard varnish on it, but it's still quite soft (I can dent it with my fingernail.) So what do people usually put on to make it really solid?

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Easy. Step one, sand off the varnish. Step two, apply epoxy- marine grade epoxy. Step three, wait a week. :)

3. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Did you allow ample time between coats? You gotta wait at least a full 24 hours after your last coat, preferably longer.

I did my fingerboard with spar urethane (outdoor grade polyurethane), and it came out terrific IMHO. I waited 2 days after the last coat before stringing up. I dunno if it'll last as long as epoxy, but from my understanding poly is easier to apply than epoxy.

4. Archon113

Archon113

Oct 21, 2004
    I used ployurethane varnish on mine and left two days between each coat. It's now been several weeks since I put the last coat on and it's not getting any harder. I think epoxy is the solution, but I can't find any websites selling small quantities of the stuff.

5. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Lots of posts on this topic over at the Luthier's forum, you might have some luck over there...