What can my amp do...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I am still a "bedroom bassist" so I haven't ever worried about my amp too much, I hope to get myself in to a band soon, so I'm starting to wonder if I have enough amp.
    I've been told that my amp would probably be all the amp I ever need - that it would be enough to play gigs at small venues. It's only an 80 watt 1x15 Peavy (TKO - Shefield speaker) - Is that really enough to play small venues? (how small?) Or do I need to upgrade before I join a band?
    I've also thought I could do better tone wise than what I can get from the Peavy, but I'm not letting tone stear this decision. I just don't want to finally find a band and then find out I'm not ready to gig because I don't have apropriate gear. How far will my 80 watt 115 take me?
  2. You can probably do a kitchen or small backyard gig. The Peavey TKO's are actually good starter amps. You should be able to practice with it no problem as long as your not going up against a guitarist with 100 Watts and a half stack. A TKO will match up nicely to unamplified drums and about a 40 Watt guitar amp at full tilt.

Even though the tone may sound dull right now, when you mix it with a full band you'll realize that it is exactly what the doctor ordered. That full range sound that sounds so appealing in the store when playing by yourself really just gets in the way when it gets mixed with guitar and drums.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Might as well prepare yourself now --- "gear" is like eating at a Chinese restaurant and thinking you'll never be hungry again. :rolleyes:
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

And one of the truest comments I've ever read.
  5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ive had one of those, and its let me play in a large hall when put up at about 8-9 (volume :D )

she isnt bad, but if you want to join a band, you should start saving up for a smallish head and cab. the peavey will be sufficent for now, but if you get any bigger, yeah, you know :)
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Backyard? Ya think?
  7. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    As Chris said, the Peavey should be enough for band practice. And also for smaller gigs.
    But as stated in many other threads, it really depends on the style of music and how loud the drummer and guitarist(s) are.

Don't buy anything new unless you know if you need it!

8. Yeah, like a very small backyard with 20 - 30 people in attendance. :D

9. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Does the TKO have an external speaker jack on it? If so, I wouldn't worry much about EXPENSIVE upgrades. You could simply pick up another speaker cabinet EVENTUALLY...OR........run your amp as is...........or run it through the PA.......OR...my favorite suggestions.......play with other sensible players who realize that young guys are getting smarter and that mega-volume is going the way of the Commodore 64. :bassist: Get out and play.........wattage envy is a lot like wienie envy; it's bred into us and keeps getting passed from one set of eyes to the next. Eventually, it becomes true because it's been heard so often. Be happy with what you've got and make music.

And with all due respect, the constant references to needing 10 times the power of this player, or 8 times the power of this player in order to "compete" are nice in theory........but, IMHO, mean absolutely nothing in the real world of the entire band plugging into a single 20 amp service. Common sense should dictate what you need and consideration should take the "competition" out of every band. :D

10. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I don't believe the TKO does.