1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Can Replace Broken 2003 Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass Tuner

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by EVicini, Mar 9, 2018.

1. EVicini

EVicini

Sep 27, 2016
    Hi. I'm not very knowledgeable about basses, but I have a nice 2003 Fender American Deluxe Jazz bass and one of the tuning machines is broken. I found replacement tuners, but they say they are for the 2004+ models, and that the 1999-2003 tuning machines are no longer available. These sellers indicate that these 2004+ model tuners will require some modification to fit the posts onto the headstock of my 2003. I'd prefer to make no modifications, so any suggestions as to some really good tuners that would fit in without mods? I hear Hipshot and Schaller, but I wouldn't know which models to order. Thank you.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Pics?

3. EVicini

EVicini

Sep 27, 2016
    Hi. I'll get you some pics in the next day or so. Thanks for the quick response.

4. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    If I recall the only difference is in the key itself. They are both Schaller BML tuners with two alignment pins holding them in place. The earlier versions have hollow clover keys with an adjustment screw at the top and the later versions have flat clover keys that are slightly larger and taller. I have a jazz bass with three of the older style tuners/hollow keys and a hipshot d-tuner with the newer style/flat key and they both fit without modification.

All that said, the only new replacements you can buy from Schaller have hollow y-keys. If you have the older hollow clover keys you can swap them out, otherwise you have to live with the y-keys.

Flat Clover keys:
    nhwjlw8gzgaykfdfblgv.jpg

Hollow Clover keys:
    hapndvp4cgxzidqt3z76.jpg

Schaller hollow y-keys:
    bmlight_l-jpg.jpg

5. EVicini

EVicini

Sep 27, 2016
    Thank you for you responses. It's actually the screw at the bottom of one of the tuning machines that is broken.

6. EVicini

EVicini

Sep 27, 2016
    Hi. That's odd. This other site that sells the same tuner says it will require modification to the headstock:
    Guitar Parts Factory - Bass Fender Tuners

(1) DELUXE BASS
    FLAT CHROME
    CLOVERLEAF TUNER

006-3547-000
    (1) Genuine Fender Cloverleaf bass tuner. Chrome finish. Originally manufactured for use on American Deluxe Basses from 2004-2006. These tuning machines replaced the smaller, thick plastic paddle tuning machines used on American Deluxe models manufactured from 1998-2003. Features include larger mounting guide posts and a larger "flat paddle" design. Screw-in style bushing. Bushing and washer are included.
    Note: The 1998-2003 era tuners are no longer available. If you are replacing a damaged tuning machine on a 1998-2003 American Deluxe Series bass, you will need to replace all four tuning machines at once. Also, some modification will be required to fit the larger posts onto the headstock.
    $26.99

Thanks for all your support, everyone.