1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What can you do to a BTB405???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Iron Panda, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Iron Panda

Iron Panda

Oct 5, 2006
    New Zealand
    Do many of you here own one of these?

I've got an Ibanez BTB405QM and I love it to death! The transparent black finish looks superb(almost a green or sometimes purple under different lighting), sounds HUGE and its perfect to play... don't think I'll ever sell it... This bass is completely stock and its wicked! But I just want to know if there's anything that could be done to improve it further...

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

2. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    paint that god awful brushed aluminum hardware black with automotive paint!

3. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    I like the brushed aluminum

I doubt I'd like black hardware with the finish on the guitar

The brushed aluminum makes for some good contrast and I hate things that are shiney

the BTB is one of the best looking basses IMO just my style

grab some better pickups

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I would say the only upgrade to that bass would be the pickups and preamp. Also, a good setup can do wonders for the playability, and make it feel like a million bucks!

5. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    The pre is the best part, if anything, just do the pups.

6. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    A fret job is always nice (especially if you like low or medium/low action)

7. Iron Panda

Iron Panda

Oct 5, 2006
    New Zealand
    Thanks for the replies.

Yeah it is a beauty isn't it? My hardware is starting to rust and look like crap, I would have like gold hardware but that would rusted also. Yeah I might do the pups one day...

Any suggestions on what kind? Barts?

Cheers.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Hey, it could be chrome!

For once, it's a bass where I wouldn't favour black hardware.

9. At my last trip to GC, I picked up a BTB-405 to check out (it was priced insanely low but with decent amount of scratches... 75% could have been buffed out, however) and the first thing she noticed and said was "Hey, I really like these tuners. Not chrome, but not plated your typical black... nice and understated".

Therefore as a representative sampling, females dig brushed aluminum hardware. Food for thought if you're single... :D

10. Papersen

Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    I´d also suggest you to upgrade it with better pickups. Barts would be my first choice since more expensive BTB´s use that ones (not the MK1), so it´s an already tested combination.

11. Ive got a 406, only thing i might ever do is stick some barts in there

I love my trans black finish, it nearly always shows up purple in pictures!

btb_closeup.jpg

12. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    It really depends on how you want to improve it. There are Barts that will fit, but it will give you a different sound - not necessarily a better sound. The Barts will give you a smoother sound, so if that's what you're after I say go for it. If you want a more aggressive sound you might just want to stick with the stock pups.

I have a BTB555 with the Bart MK-1 pups in it. I can make it smooth if I want, but they have a natural aggressiveness to them. I thought about replacing them with "real" Barts before I played the bass, and now I'm sticking with stock.

13. Iron Panda

Iron Panda

Oct 5, 2006
    New Zealand
    Thanks all for the replies again!

Yea I'm thinking about those bart MI-1s, right now I'm quite keen on the smooth tone, but I may later alter my taste who knows. As soon as I find some reasonably priced barts I'll snatch them up.

Man Mohawk that bass is stunning! Mines not as purple(but it's pretty purple anyway!) or as clean as that! I should clean it more often haha.

There should be a fanclub for BTBs. I don't think I can ever part with mine... I once saw a limited edition BTB905WNF for about NZ$700, and I missed out! I still kick myself today over it.

Cheers.

14. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    +1

I, too, really like the hardware on the BTB . . . .

- Tim

15. Kubs

Kubs

Jul 26, 2006
    Prague
    I hope that 905´s series are good, I bought 555 and I was disapointed so much that I resale it during second week of owning it.... from this time I really dont belive to korean made ibanezes...
    The sound was death...cant cut through band....

16. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have a BTB555 and I like it a lot! I've never cut through better than I do with this baby. It's all in how you EQ.

17. Kubs

Kubs

Jul 26, 2006
    Prague
    I know the main is personal taste but with this ibanez i was not satisfated, there was more contras than pros...so it went away from me :)
    You know boy which bought it from me dislike my Warwick tone - to much funky for him - only persona taste

18. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I completely agree! It isn't the "perfect" bass for me, but it's good enough for now. Eventually I'll be having a custom bass made so I'll know it will sound the way I want it to.

19. Iron Panda

Iron Panda

Oct 5, 2006
    New Zealand
    I think it is basically the same as the 405 but the body is ovankol top and mahogony back. And there are only 65 in the world.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021