1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What can you do with the bass that you want, that you can't do with the bass that you have?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phillipkregg, Mar 13, 2019.

1. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Serous question. Curious what folks are thinking when shopping for new instruments. :)

2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    nail the gnarliest Pappalardi with a P pickup and without Sunn amps / cabs maxed, but I'm close!
    someday I'll get a Gibby with a real Sidewinder and probably be disappointed lol

wboyd68 likes this.
  3. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Spend money?

4. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

Different strings... (flats/rounds)
    Active / passive

bking0217 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  5. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    touch it

Mili, Hercules, berlihe and 10 others like this.
  6. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

All kinds of things

I have a bunch of basses and I enjoy having them in a rotation from solid body to hollow to semi to chambered to ABG to short to medium to 35” scale to 5 string to fretless to eight string

It just motivates me to play which is really the key

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  7. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

I’m thinking different things every time I buy another one but mostly probably looks at this point
    Sometimes it’s just the price or bargain deal too

8. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I have a dozen. Every weird scale and pickup combo, hollow, semi, fretless or whatever. I will keep about three out of different types and practice the same studies or lines or scales on all three. I then rotate them at gigs and jams and lull 3 others out for the next month.

It's just fun and inspiring. And now I can pretty much play any bass someone hands me.

Unfortunately, it's been a year since a new one.
    I've got everything I want

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'd like to have a five that's either entirely passive or has a passive mode. That's it really. My G&L M-2500 is fantastic, but even with the treble nearly off, I can't get true old-school tones. It sounds so great that I almost never care, but sometimes I just wanna rock a regular J, and also have a B string!

eJake and alanloomis1980 like this.
  10. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    I can't have both a thumpy old-school sounding P and a bright modern sounding P without changing strings.

11. Good question. I find myself gassing for an "upgrade." Basically the same bass with nicer components, craftsmanship. Is there a subtle bump in connection, inspiration, and feel that will come from that, making me a better player? Or is it just my ego, looking for a brand name on my headstock?

I'm also curious about trying a five string; now that's something I cant do with my current basses!

alaskaleftybass and RexxRokket like this.
  12. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    For me it's mostly about the new bass offering a certain tone that I don't already have P/J, P/MM, J/MM, or whatever the case may be.

Sometimes it's about a 'mo better' version of something I already have. :cool:

And sometimes it's just that I want it - what can I say, I've been on TB too long. :D

13. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    the "strange" factor

dmt, el jeffe bass and Old Blastard like this.
  14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Dunno. I haven't bought it yet. :D

Seriously, I don't know why. But new gear CAN inspire me to play differently. Sometimes better. Sometimes just different.

I go in phases. For a decade now everything I have owned has been a Fender-ish bass. Now I'm itching for something DIFFERENT.

EatS1stBassist and Bass Man Dan like this.
  15. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Serious answer. . . . I'm looking to sound better. That's all.

16. A sound that inspires me to play more often & for longer periods of time.
    Also, if it's lighter weight, that will also allow me to play for longer periods of time.

A thin, narrow neck also helps.

Ironic however that over time you get tired of that new, great sound that once inspired you.
    That's when it's time to change strings.

JoshS, burgerdj, Morrighan and 5 others like this.
  17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I don't need four or five different basses to do four or five different things.
    I buy great-sounding basses that do everything I want them to do...this allows me to pick basses based on what they look like.
    It's not rocket science.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Avigdor likes this.
  18. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I think I'm at a point where the only bass I want, I will never get. I have no idea if it will do more than what my current basses will. I have never seen, let alone played, a Ritter.

19. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Fit the neck in a wall hanger.

An SR750 that I'd considered buying is back up on the market and it might be nice to have a four again (especially that one).

20. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Gas for a bass ended for me when a very good friend gave me one. That feeling I got at that moment is the same feeling that deep down love of music does to our souls . It moves us in many ways all at once. The giving or sharing of music has no boundaries. Giving and receiving a musical instrument is in that same place. It’s very powerful. So it cleared away the dust and took me back to the moment I discovered bass. Club of circa 80’s school of Harris. It doesn’t hurt to have up to your personal spaces capacity to have as many as you can fit either. Up the Irons \m/\m/

EatS1stBassist and Passinwind like this.