Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What can you tell me about Alex Al?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Lowend4s, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Lowend4s

Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    I started a thread regarding Maroon 5's bass player and I was told that Alex Al played many of the groovy bass lines on the album.

Is he a studio player?

2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    :hyper: I share your intrest! Went to amazon and listend to fourth world from karas flowers and wow :eek: not just the bass questioned me but everything did! :eyebrow: I mean the drummer sounds like a totally diff dude as well! Not saying that its not possible but man its a hell of a change man! :eyebrow: Make sure ya let me know what ya find out! :cool:

3. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    alex is a top LA studio bassist who over the last 6-7 years has been on countless smooth jazz,r& band pop sessions.like i said in the other thread,it's not unusual for there to be ghost players on self-contained band's records.on the other hand i read a artical about the keyboard player and he said they were all 17-18 yr old when they did the first cd as karas flowers so maybe they just got better over time?

4. phattire

phattire

Oct 27, 2004
    Burbank CA
    ALEX AL is from Detroit but live in LA

Alex Al is one of the top studio players in Los Angeles, recording with everyone from Stevie Wonder to Michael Jackson, Christina A's last album
    He plays Fenders, fretless and a old Jazz most of the time, and think he is still a Eden endorsee

If you get a chance to see him don't miss it :bassist:

Attached Files:

5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hmm any specific albums you can point us out too?

6. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    +1

... nothin' like seeing Alex and Reg play together. btw, you gonna be at NAMM? I'll be there Friday if you're around.

Tony

7. phattire

phattire

Oct 27, 2004
    Burbank CA
    2003 Soul Sessions Jeff Golub Bass
    2003 Still Small Voice Paul Jackson Jr. Bass
    2003 U Turn Brian McKnight Bass (Upright)
    2003 Very Best of Marc Antoine Marc Antoine Bass
    2004 All for You Everette Harp Bass
    2004 Blue Note Plays Stevie Wonder Various Artists Bass (Electric)
    2004 Cheetah Girls [Bonus Tracks] Original Soundtrack Bass, Guitar
    2004 Como Me Acuerdo Robi Draco Rosa Bajo Sexto
    2004 Forever, for Always, for Luther Various Artists Bass, Bass (Electric)
    2004 Goin Places Gary Goin Bass
    2004 In a Smooth Groove Various Artists Bass
    2004 Inside Out Dan Siegel Bass, Zeta Bass
    2004 Journey to Eden Dov Bass
    2004 Lazy Afternoon Regina Belle Bass, Bass (Electric)
    2004 Livin' Large Euge Groove Bass, Guitar (Bass)
    2004 Mad Love [Bonus DVD] Robi Draco Rosa Bass
    2004 Mad Love Robi Draco Rosa Bass
    2004 Moondance Hubert Laws Bass
    2004 My Everything Anita Baker Bass
    2004 Pure Boney James Bass
    2004 Smooth Sailing Maysa Bass
    2004 Soundtrack for Sunrise GB Bass
    2004 Stay With Me Michael Lington Bass
    2004 Weeper A. Ray Fuller Bass
    2004 West Coast All Stars: Live Sessions [CD & DVD] West Coast All-Stars Bass
    2004 West Coast Coolin' Norman Brown Bass
    2005 Pacific Coast Highway Nils Bass
    Gerald McCouley's West-Coast All Stars Gerald McCauley's West-Coast All Stars Bass
    Wings to Walk This Road John Stoddart Bass

Tony -I'll be at NAMM Tomorrow and maybe late on Friday

8. I have quite a few CDs with him on it but I just recently realized how much I like his playing.What are his best CDs?

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I know he's a baddass!!

10. gssg0002

gssg0002

Apr 22, 2009
    toronto ontario
    You are correct! Alex Al is originally from Detroit. I had the amazing experience of playing in a band with Alex and his brother David LaSalle Gabriel (guitarist, producer). Al was only 18 at the time and one of the finest gentlemen and bass players I have ever met. We toured around the midwest U.S. at the time under Nyteflyte and then LaSalle. Al was a monster on the bass at that time and already had some big names to his credit. Al was very meticulous about his playing and practiced many hours. It's no surprise he is one of the most accomplished musicians in the industry. Best regards Alex!

eugene

11. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    I have a pretty strong suspicion that the drums on Maroon 5 are programmed. Protools most certainly plays a large role in their band as well.

12. MoBeach

MoBeach Guest

I just got the Stanley Clarke and friends DVD and Alex Al was on there. I had never heard of him before seeing this.

13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Interestingly enough, I just saw the Michael Jackson movie and Alex was Michael's bass player for the concert. He has an incredible resume!

14. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes, I saw "This Is It" last night and saw him playing. He's a great player but I didn't like his sizzly tone for the portion of the set where they were doing the Jackson 5 songs. I would have liked to have heard a little more Jamerson thump in the tone for those songs but that's just me. Great playing regardless!

15. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    On "This Is It" he was using a Fender Jazz most of the time but I also saw him use a MusicMan Stingray 5 a couple of times.

16. I'm going to have to check it out.Alex usually has a great tone with his Fender.He also plays some kind of 5 string and that tone is pretty thin.

17. Court Composer

Court Composer

Apr 25, 2010
    Man, you guys like bass mastery?

18. He's on the Lopez show and the Band kicks ass more that any other late night band.Too bad that the show itself is not that great.

19. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand

Also
    Kickin it Jeff Lorber
    Heard That Jeff Lorber , check him out on a tune called " the Bomb " .

20. arimurik

arimurik

Feb 24, 2011
    The first time I heard him was on that album. On the opener "Snakebite"..and I was half asleep but God, that groove....I got up. Looked him up!
    Awesome player...