1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What can you tell me about buying subs for PA use?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by slap-a-da-bass, Oct 23, 2010.

1. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    Hey all,

I've put together my entry level PA for my Rock/Classic Rock band. Here's the gear I'm currently using

Peavey FX16 mixer
    Peavey PR15's on sticks for mains, powered by 1/2 a Crown 602D (600w 4ohm's)
    2 monitor mixes powered by a crown 202D (300w @ 4ohm's)
    Each monitor mix has a 31 band EQ, and we cut the low's in the monitors
    Main mix has a 15 band EQ.

I've only used this system twice playing out, and for practice. Our normal venue will be small to med size bars, 50-150 people. In the PA we have vocals, Kick, some guitar for balance. We're looking for more thump from the kick, and would also like to add some bass into the subs.

So I have a couple of options for local gear. 1st is the PV118's entry level, 400 watts, MDF, but get good reviews for waht they are. 2nd there is a pair of Yorkville Pulse series (PS18 - blue carpet). Plywood cab, oversized cab, 300 watts, uses Eminence drivers.

Another choice, but price would leave me with only purchasing one sub for now, is a JBL MRX518s, but the 1 sub handles almost twice as much power as the others.

And lastly, I was thinking about building some Bill Fitzmaurice Titan 39's

So to wrap it up, Could the one better JBL sub out perform the entry level peaveys? What about the Yorkville's with the Eminence drivers and larger cab, but only 300w? Considering I'm running up to 600w on my mains, I was told I should be doubleing that for my subs? or do I not need that much for small to med bars?

What would be a good choice for me?

Thanks,

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I run the el-cheapo Yorkville YS118's (Performance Series...2 of 'em) daisy-chained with a QSC RMX 2450. IIRC, I paid $400 for the pair of subs but they came with upgraded drivers and Speakons. Powered & EQ'd judiciously, they sound fairly decent and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Riis

3. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
  4. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The Yorkie Pulse series is a budget-conscious offering so I doubt if they utilized top-shelf Eminence drivers. I wouldn't sweat the 300 vs. 400 watt specs, either. I would, however, opt for a dual cabinet / driver configuration as you'll need to move some air whilst trying to keep up with the mains. Will you be using an external crossover?

Riis

5. slap-a-da-bass

slap-a-da-bass

Sep 28, 2009
    Yes to the crossover. I need to figure it out, but my EQ has a sub out, as well as my board has some type sub send.

6. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I have run Yorkville Pulse PL315 mains for a several years now. They sound fantastic and are built like tanks. Perhaps a bit underpowered, but generally very high quality for the price. In this regard, I think Yorkville's marketing approach is similar to Peavey's - rugged build, good sound and performance, and priced for musicians to afford.

All that being said, 300watts seems a little underpowered for a sub and from an upgrade standpoint, you can always add a second JBL someday.

7. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The "sub" on your mixer is probably a subgroup, not an output for a subwoofer. The EQ's "sub out" is more than likely a mono summed output whereas the < 100 hz content can be sent to a dedicated subwoofer amplifier...the mains continue to see the full range signal. Not a true crossover but EQ's like this are handy for re-enforcing low end presence.

Honestly, I'd run a mono signal from your mixer to the crossover, and then to your mains & sub amplifiers. This will give you more flexibility re: xover point, slopes, output levels, etc. Run your EQ in the mixer's main insert(s). As far as the crossover goes...RTFM so you can at least get it cabled correctly.

Riis