What can you tell me about Hermann Beyer basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by learning_towalk, Sep 19, 2004.

1. I was offered a trade of a practicly new Hermann Beyer E230 with a fresh set of Thomastic spirocore weichs, stand, bow and padded bag.

I'd be trading for two electric basses that I don't use anymore, and I would just be using it for bluegrass jams from time to time (i'll use my Ergo stick for gigs)

so can you guys give me any info about these basses?
  2. Pictures and some description?
  3. "Hardwood trim added to fully laminated top,
    back and sides makes this a solid performer.
    Construction secured with double lining.
    Engraved brass machine heads add touch of class.
    adjustable endpin.Outfit includes AR6H kit with S502H Glasser
    horsehair bow, SR640 nylon bag"

and I found 1 review on the internet, and all it said was

"Feels and sounds as good as my EM1"

and that's ALL the info I could find online

the two basses I'd be trading are worth around 300 dollars each. Sowould this be a good trade?
  4. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Here you go :rollno:

IMHO: Whatever you've read about cheap Chinese DBs (see Newbie Links) applies precisely to these. Cheaply made with low grade plywood and fake ebony trims. You're likely to have a hard time finding a luthier willing to setup such a thing. He'll see it as a curse to his craft and will do the job only as a favour to a roockie and without any garanty regarding the durability of his work. You'll realize rapidly that even after several trips to the repair shop, the thing remains tough to play and has definitely a thin sound. No second hand market value, you'll be stuck with it, without making much progress towards learning walking bass. Stay away from that deal and keep your slabs, they are trying to pass the hot potatoe on to you!!!
  5. Ditto.....
    Take the time to really do some research on the links...There ARE basses out there to suit you in every possible way including price!
  6. It is not a cheap chinese bass. check the link http://www.cgconn.com/catalog/Hermann_Beyer_String_Instr.pdf

I am the one selling the bass it is a nice setup, I thought that I could learn to play it on my own but I have found it to be too difficult so I am selling it.

This bass is on the level of an Engelhardt not a chinese bass. music123 sell them for $1099. check this link

So learn the facts before calling something a cheap chinese bass.
  7. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.

So the catalog doesn't say that it is a "cheap chinese instrument", but it doesn't say it isn't either...

It reads "adjusted by Scherl and Roth" which makes "cheap" student level instruments. This is clearly an imported laminated instrument. Origin unknown. Either eastern europe or an asian country. These are the cheap of their line.

$1,099.00 may sound expensive to you, but I have never owned a bass worth having with a price tag under $2,500. The cheap ones are trouble in the long run, even if they are set up properly- and that is a BIG if.

My advice is, unless you don't have any alternative to purchasing a "quality" student instrument, don't do it.

8. Country of origin is Hungary as stated in the link

No $1099 is not alot for a bass, but some people don't need a bass that costs $2500 or more. He wants a bass to play at bluegrass jam sessions, this bass would be fine for that purpose and it won't cost him much money either.

Yes, there are better basses out there, but for the money he is spending he would be getting a good bass.
  9. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    LEARNINGTOCRAWL, what kinda slabs are you trading for this bass?
  10. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    If I had two $300 slabs collecting dust, I'd trade.

I have mixed emotions about the cheap basses. I think that with a bit of TLC these basses will hold up. I ordered two and played one of them right out of the box - the other required minimal work. I also didn't have any problem turning either of them for almost what I had in them after a year (I also earned some cash with 'em).

But, they are cheaply made - thin ribs, poor gluing, wavey top - not too quality controlled so, care is a must.

Just my .02 of experience.
  11. azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR

Then you have not played many basses. There are alot of people out there that do just fine on old Kay's, King's, and American Standards that go for less than $2,500. I have heard some fine jazz on poor old basses held together with screws. I happen to own a bass that cost me much less than $2,500 and it rips! When you realize the sound comes from the hands as much as the bass just using price as a measure is unwise. :spit:

12. Actually, YOU need to learn some facts yourself!
  13. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.

I am not out to slam anybody's bass here... don't take it out of context. Learning to walk asked for advice. I said I have never OWNED a bass worth having with a price tag under $2,500. That is MY personal experience. YOU may have a wonderful bass you paid $300.00 for and are happy with it. More power to you. I wish I had that kind of luck. I too have played some old Kays and Kings that would slam. Unfortunately, they were worth more than what he would pay for that bass.

And if LTW can get a Kay or King, or Christopher, or Shen or whatever for less than that bass- that is the route he should go. If he has to get this bass with the trade, fine. I find it curious that after LTW asks for an opinion, the seller chimes in with one of his own. That is like taking a used car to a mechanic for inspection and having the owner standing there telling the mechanic what is great about it. :confused:

I am speaking on my own personal experience. I own a nice old historically significant German bass that I went into debt to buy. I started with a carved top- laminated back back in the late 80's. I have played thousands of basses (literally) over the years. My hands can pull a huge sound out of the plywood basses my students have, but I choose to use better equipment. It is just my personal preference. Also, the bassists in the sections I play in would look at me kind of funny if I walk in with a bluegrass axe.

Azflyman, I see you list an Upton bass as your upright. I assume you paid more than $1,099.00 for it... Maybe not $2,500, but somewhere in the middle?

LTW- I am not trying to slam your potential bass, but use caution. Don't trade for something you can't liquidate when/if you decide to upgrade. Take it to a luthier BEFORE you make the trade and check it over. Make sure it is structurally sound, and doesn't need major set up work. I could see you spending the amount you have in the bass for set up and repair if you go into this blind. Then you would be out $1200, not $600.00.

Can't we all just get along? :rollno:
  14. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN

I think that you make excellent points and your advice was very much on the money. There is nothing worse than having an unplayable bass, regardless of how little you paid.

Perhaps the most salient point, take the bass to a luthier prior to finalized sale. That way, if the seller is correct you have a good bass for a minor trade. If the seller is selling you firewood, you'll know that too.

Good luck.
  15. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Take it to a luthier before you confirm the deal. That way you will know

1. is it playable for you, it is set-up for Bluegrass now?
    2. if not, how much will it cost to get it that way
    3. you can easily sink another $200-1000 just for repairs and upgrades
    4. do you have a DB friend/teacher who can play it and give you their opinion.

Cheaper instruments sound ok to those who don't know what a better built and set-up bass should sound like.

I had a cheap bass for a few months before I could upgrade. It was playable (?), but had no sustain or projection, super fat neck, and was just too big for me.

After upgrading and playing a many basses I realized just how dead and crappy the thing was.

good luck
  16. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Reading the pdf for this thang, it reads that the standard outfit comes with a glasser (prob fiberglass) bow, rosin, strings, and a bag... that's pretty extravagant for $1099. Gotta love those deals when they throw in everything, including the kitchen sink. What a deal! Gee!

17. ... and the pdf refers to being 'crafted' not made in Cz (or was it Hungary) and later on being 'set up' in their workshops with the same care and attention etc etc.

yrs - doubting Thomas
  18. azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    What it boils down to is you trading something you don't use for something you will use.

If you can play it, it is structurally sound, and it sounds OK then it should be a fine deal. The two basses collecting dust are doing nothing for you. I would have someone look at it to make sure it will not self destruct soon. Other than that I would get the bass if it acceptable to you.

19. Albsolutely!