1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What can you tell me about this Noble violin bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shawndavidwoo, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Shawndavidwoo

Shawndavidwoo

Jan 22, 2021
    A friend just received this bass from someone who passed away. He told her it was a fender, but I don’t think it is. I found a logo that matched what’s on the head, but haven’t been able to find anything else about it. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Attached Files:

lowendrachel likes this.
  2. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Late-60s to Early 70s Japanese. I recognize all of the hardware, but never seen that nameplate before :)

Rabidhamster likes this.
  3. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Not included on the go-to website for violin basses of the world
    violin bass gallery
    but you might peruse it looking vor visual matches with different names.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    To me it looks very similar to Egmond, Electra and Eko violin basses of the same period.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    That headstock is truly odd, but the rest of it looks cool. I'd agree its one of the 1k 60's Japanese brands, there are seemingly hundreds of brand names on identical basses from that era. Sears used to sell all kinds of oddballs in their catalogs. A friend bought a Les Paul copy with 5 different built in "effects", all bad, but the guitar itself was pretty well made. The pups on some of these were a bit microphonic, but if it plays well, I'd rock that thing.

mikewalker and Bozzy like this.
  6. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    The Don E. Noble Co. in Chicago was originally an importer of accordions from Italy, but like everyone else dipped into the '60s beat boom teenage market for affordable electric guitars and basses, whether Italian or Japanese.

This particular model is associated with the Kawai factory, and was also imported by others under names like Crest, Black Jack and Royal.

7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The level of obscure knowledge on TB never ceases to amaze me.

8. seilerbird

seilerbird

Apr 12, 2012
    I am also amazed at the level of knowledge around here. I am also amazed at the level of obscure knowledge rattling around in my brain. You can play any hit from the 50s 60s and 70s and I will be able to name that tune in two notes or less. A friend of mine used to play a game with me trying to stump me. Rarely did he make it to the third note.

9. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    I can tell you that who ever owned it doesn't know how to put strings on a bass. ;)

mikewalker and Aqualung60 like this.
  10. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    its italian, likely made by EKO. headstock is the same as eko 995. body too.

11. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

Holy cow! I never knew that there were so many. I've had an Eko for 30 years or so.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  12. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    I like everything but that headstock....what was Mr. Noble thinking?

13. Doesn't @JimmyM have an EKO with that scroll headstock?

14. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    Had an Eko many many years ago. Looks a lot like it.

Pimpernel Smith likes this.
  15. If Noble imported Italian instruments, isn't it all the more likely that it's an EKO?

kentiki likes this.
  16. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    New England
    I had a Norma bass that looked an awful lot like the one pictured here. The headstock was exactly like this one. Mine was in sunburst. My folks bought it for my 11th birthday in 1971. I think it was $75 with a cheap cardboard case. They also got me a little combo amp. I can't even remember anything about it.

brands

17. KOOL BREEZE

KOOL BREEZE

Dec 12, 2013
    Seattle
    lesclay.jpg
    I vote Eko

ac100X likes this.
  18. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    looks the same as this Jason Lyrebird. The headstock on mine was abbreviated by a previous owner. Look at the pickups and bridge. 60’s Japanese violin basses, so retro, so cool.
    violin.jpg

19. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Have you ever considered writing a book? You have a wealth of information about instruments, it would be great if it was committed to paper for the ages.

HaphAsSard and pie_man_25 like this.
  20. ac100X

ac100X

Apr 6, 2003
    California
    Its obviously an EKO copy, that's an EKO headstock.

It's so 60's, the poor guy with the EKO bass has a fuzz bass solo and the camera man focuses on the guitar player.

Eddie LeBlanc likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021