1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What can you tell me about Traben basses? The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B-Mac, Oct 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Great

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Good for the money

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Decent but needs a mod or two to make it good

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Stay far, far away

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

snla7pkfiinhis3dbmvq.
    This is a Chaos Core 4 in Whiskey Burl
    I think it is gorgeous. Coffee table haters probably won't like this version. ;)

Actual ownership experience is appreciated rather than just trying it out at a center for stringed instruments and such. Thanks! :)

Specifications:
    • BRIDGE chaos internal bridge
    • SCALE 34" four string
    • CONSTRUCTION bolt on
    • PICKUPS two rockfield® humbuckers
    • ELECTRONICS Aguilar OBP-3 pre-amp
    • CONTROLS three-band eq with volume and five-way switch
    • BODY paulonia
    • TOP burled maple
    • FRETBOARD rosewood
    • NUT synthetic

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    gebass6 and TonyP- like this.
  2. B-Mac

Really? Nobody?

3. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    No experience, just wanted to say that this is, imo, the best looking Traben, ever.

TinIndian, gebass6, JACink and 8 others like this.
  4. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I had a chaos 5.It sounded amazing. I sold it because it had a wider neck than I prefer, and it was pretty heavy. It played great and had a wide variety of tones .

B-Mac likes this.
  5. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    I always found the chrome "flames" (from the bridge through far too much of the body) to be silly, and so never could get past that. It made it hard to take the bass seriously.

traben%20phoenix_053.

But the pic the OP posted looks pretty good. It has a Sting Ray HH kinda vibe. I'd like to hear how it sounds.

6. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I worked in a music store for a long time and I've seen a bunch of Traben basses. The crazy chrome never did anything for me but they usually played decent. They don't command a lot of $ on the used market.

gebass6 and packhowitzer like this.
  7. Traben basses were great when the company first started (American Made)...Some models were still great after the buyout (Korean Made)...until production shifted to Vietnam...If the bass in question is a Korean model...I say go for it...If it's built in Vietnam pass!

I previously owned Three Traben Basses and loved them all especially this one...

mestagepocketlight-.

(me on stage about 10 years ago) I actually wish I had this one back in my stable...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  8. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    The ugly? Well ... yes, they are. to each his own...YMMV ;-)
    Rock on!

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    With today's manufacturing it's really difficult to find a bad bass I think it just comes down to comfort and how much you want to spend.

TrustRod, B-Mac and TonyP- like this.
  10. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    I have to say that is the best looking Traben that I've seen. I never understood the chrome flames and such that they put on most of their basses.

Thick McRunfast likes this.
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Really? Waiting just 3 hours for a response before getting exasperated? ;)

Some of them, particularly some of the older ones with the ornate bridges, were quite heavy from all the excess metal.

12. B-Mac

I've seen responses at the speed of light here. :roflmao:
    Really though, I made the comment because there were 84 views within that time and no reply. No biggie. I just know we got a lot of knowledgeable people here with all kinds of experience.

13. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Don't know if they are Good or Bad but they sure is UGLY..YMMV

14. B-Mac

Well, I did a search and see that there is a Traben Bass club here at TB (probably should have done that first, duh!)

Thanks

15. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    They sound good, but the looks aren't for everyone. While the only one I'm familiar with had this invasive tribal chrome bridge that looked weird, the high mass did seem to help with sustain. The tops are very thin, but just there for looks.

The one in your picture is much more tasteful than what I remember about them.

B-Mac likes this.
  16. I like that model. I wish the headstock was a little less pointy and more paddle like .

B-Mac likes this.
  17. Madhouse27

Madhouse27 Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2016
    18 year old Madhouse27 would have thought those metal flames were pretty damn cool. At this stage of the game, I just don't think I could stand up there and play it.

B-Mac and hintz like this.
  18. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I'd mess around on a coworkers Traben and really didn't like the fit, finish or tone! It was active but really harsh, the neck needed a shim. I remember a giveaway that bass player had for one years ago and thought they looked cool at the time(not anymore)

I just didn't like it at all in any way and it had that cheesy flame pickguard...then again it was an import, I can't speak for an older US made one!

B-Mac likes this.
  19. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    i never cared for the way the body was balanced. or the overall shape. I recorded with one that was owned by the studio, when I was overdubbing some 5-string low notes on top of my 4-string. It seemed solid enough and tracked well enough, but I found the ergonomics lackluster. ymmv.

B-Mac likes this.
  20. flam

flam

Sep 20, 2010
    Tempe, Arizona
    I owned an Array attack for a while. It had the tribal bridge, a J neck, and a MM bridge. It played decent, and was okay for the most part. I didn't find it very inspiring, just an average feeling, average sounding bass. My opinion of rockfield pickups in general is pretty low. The bridge's point was very shard, and occasionally if I got too excited I would poke my finger with it. If I had to compare it to another bass, I would say it felt like a mid range LTD.