Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what can you tell me about tripple slapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by furiously funky, Mar 29, 2003.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    I'm trying to learn classic thump, and i cant tripple slap fast enough for it. I think it's inproper technique. it's thumb, hammer, thumb up right?
    oh well, hope to get some help.
    thanks/ :spit:

2. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Check bass day 98 (with Victor Wooten) he explains this technique and several others, like open string-hammer-pluck and thumb down-thumb up and pluck;)

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's funny, Vic talks about triple slapping on the Carter beauford/vic dvd, he mentions how a lot of the cats he grew up with were able to do triple slaps(actually slapping down strokes three times in a row) but vic could never do that, so he used the double thump method.
    which is Thumb down(like a regular slap) passing through the string then thumb back up(like a pop with your thumb)

combined with a hammer on, you get a triplet, or you can do a double-thumb pluck which would be
    thumb down, thumb up, pluck, all on the same string, to get another triplet.

that's how victor does it at least.

triple slaps are TOUGH, but they are not impossible, it would be much tougher to do classical thump in triple slaps, but if you are up for a challenge you could certainly try.

4. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    when i triple slap, i feel like i'm gonna rip of the side of my finger and my thumb nail. do i just need to toughin' it up?:confused:

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yes....also, don't be stiff, relax yourself, and just go with the flow.

6. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    If you use that technique enough at one time the top of your thumb nail will get all rough and scratched up and flatten out where it was normally rounded, pretty cool stuff. You will probably get painful hangnails as well.

7. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    I can tell you about tipple slapping. I slap a bass line, then I have a little drink. Then I slap another bass line, then I have another drink. Basically, I repeat this pattern until I'm on the floor. hic!

Sorry, poor excuse for a joke :cool:

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I found most bassist have trouble slapping once with taste.

9. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    So don't.We need more bassplayers.Play music,don't be a weedwhacker,the only people who care if you can triple slap are other weedwhackers.

10. Yeah, triple slapping is still a cool tool. Especially if you do muted string popping/triple thumb slapping it sounds pretty sick. I think the trick to the technique is to relax your wrist and when you hit the second bounce flick your wrist so you get a hit again. Its really hard to explain, but as long as you're relaxed and DONT think about it when you do it, it's pretty easy. Have fun.