1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What causes Obesity?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Armueller2001, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Pretty straitforward question... but there are all kinds of "causes" that people talk about. I always hear about how genetics are the reason that people can't lose weight... IMO they can make it hard but not impossible, with the right diet and exercise. If genetics REALLY were the problem, there would have been as many fat people 100-200 yrs ago as there are today... the human race doesn't evolve that quickly.

What do you guys think? What is the cause of obesity? Do you think that genetics are an ultimatum or just an excuse?

2. I think genetics play a role for some people, but overall, I think it's a combination of poor diet, lack of exercise, and insufficient sleep.

3. Food plays a big role here.

4. Caloric intake being higher than caloric output.

Lots of things come in to play with that, diet, exercise, metabolism, etc.

5. Obesity is caused by taking in more calories than you burn, plain and simple.

I think the better question is what stimulates peoples' appetites to this point, and/or why the sedentary lifestyle. The most recent thing I've read is they may have identified a virus that could be causing this appetite stimulation in SOME people.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Laziness, poor eating habits = 99% of the problem.

There are very few for whom diet and exercise WOULDN'T keep slim.

7. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

You hit it spot on.

To add to that, some people have a metabolism thats so slow it requires medicine or even some type of surgery.

Also, there is a mental illness that makes you never feel full and you just eat and eat and eat.

I don't recall the name of the surgery tho, or the illness. :meh:

8. Lost Drummer

Lost Drummer

Aug 27, 2007
    Nashville TN
    eating too much and exercising to little.

Thread over

9. it's main cause is global warming.

10. Oh, and lack of adequate panda meat.

11. Lost Drummer

Lost Drummer

Aug 27, 2007
    Nashville TN
    naw, it's the other way around

12. For the most part I think its just weak minded people and eating a lot, but there are some cases such as mine. Im chubby not obese but ive got some extra baggage and no matter how much I try and diet and work out and lose weight I just dont shed pounds, because I have an Overactive Thyroid.

13. hmmm, but wouldn't the excess heat help to sweat out more calories and global warming could help cure obesity?

14. Lost Drummer

Lost Drummer

Aug 27, 2007
    Nashville TN
    I know fat people who have been sweating non-stop for years and have gained weight.

the heat won't help

15. homer_simpson_on_a_chair_by_HamJava.
    "What? I sweat when I eat."

16. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Lot's of food + Little or no exercise = BIG A**. I know that from experience.

I think it's more a matter of one's environment than anything else. If parents take in more than they work off, they are setting the kids up to do the same. It also can work the opposite way. I have a friend who was raised in a house where junk food of any type was strictly not allowed. When she got out on her own, she went overboard with her new-found access to high-calorie food.

Also, some folks are medically more prone to weight gain. I have hypothyroidism, which slows down my metabolism. I used that as an excuse for a LONG time. I've recently realized that I was just being lazy. By the way, I've lost 60 lbs this year and have about 20 more to go. :hyper:

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It's complicated.

High-tech foods that don't appear in nature and are highly processed are a big part of the problem. Stuff like High Fructose Corn Syrup which is so far from corn and so far from sugar that your body doesn't know how to deal with it. And wacked out chemicals like Aspartame can confuse the hell out fo the body, I heard that some weightlifting organization sponsored a study on Aspartame that concluded that it actually makes your body retain fat more due to its chemical makeup sending chemical signals that your body translates as "time to store fat for the winter!". Not to mention trans fats, chemically hydrogenated oils which don't really resemble anything in nature except the most bad for you milkfat which appears in small doses normally. GMO foods can have strange side-effects and their effects are not yet fully understood.

It's easy to self righteously point the finger at "lazy people who don't eat right" but the real problem is much more complicated than that.

Don't drink soda or overly sweet "energy" drinks. Try to eat more "whole" less processed foods, including whole grains in bread products. Get exercise.

18. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
  19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Sorry, that's just over the top too extreme for me. The list is so long and there are so many "can"s that it's just unbelievable. I don't buy it.