Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What causes such wide geographic university attraction?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Sep 4, 2004.

1. I go to a very fun school with fairly strong academics in VA called JMU. (james madison university) Now, you'd think that because it's not known on a national level like UVA for example, it would be mostly VA residents. It's just a VA state school with a good reputation within the state.

It seems like half of the people here are from out of state. While it seems like the largest contributer (outside of VA) is from Long-Island, NY, which is about 6 hours away, we get alot of people from places farther away, such as Connecticut, Mass, etc, and from places much farther away such as Texas, Washington, California etc. Why do people come across the country (or in some cases the world) to go to specific schools, when they don't really offer anything special necesarily over closer schools?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    so then you aren't happy with your choice in schools?

I think this is no differant then picking Fender over Gibson or Zon over Ibanez or Benavente over Smith etc.... it's all personal preference and our need to seek out our own personal identity.

Also, most all kids can't choose where they grow up... but picking a college that accepts them that they can afford in an area they want to be is something they can kinda control.

3. i wonder the smae thing sometimes here. on my dorm hall alone (about 20 people) there are kids from cincinatti, philly, virginia, wisconsin, new york, and new jersey. quite an interesting mix of students for the university of south carolina.

4. In my case, I just wanted to be a sufficient distance from my parents and high school etc so I headed out of town for school to get away from the past. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's done it to get away from the old and start new.

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    When I get out of high school, I'll probably go out-of-state. The bass prof at my community college recommends that I go to a music school with an electric bass prof like berklee, musician's institute, manhattan school of music, etc., as do a few other people. Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle has a pretty good music department from what I hear, and my current bass teacher recommends it (who plays primarily electric bass.) So for me, I'll have to ask around a bit more and see how finances would work out. I have to see how well the credits i've earned so far will transfer with or without an A.A. to the different colleges, as well. Whether they would count at all, as elective credits, for required course credits, etc.

6. Of course, there's always the "safety school" reason. (Please tell me that's not something that kids at my high school made up. I'd hate to sound like an elitist prick...)

7. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    Well where i live there no choice i have to go aleast 7 hours drive to goto a university. And thats considered the too close to home school. Most duniverty take atleast a one day or a two day trip from where i live. Even if there was a Uni in my home town no one would go.

8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    There are as many reasons for attending a particular college as there are species of insect. Reputation, specific programs, mom and/or dad went there, access to scholarships, recruitment, limited opportunity, etc. Even though the U.S. has more colleges than any other country, not everyone has the opportunity to attend the schools in their local communities (plus, a big part of college for a lot of kids is getting out of the home area). Some colleges prefer non-resident students as the fees and tuitions for them are higher. The diversity of college campuses is one of the most exciting aspects of college life. Meet as many people from as many places as you can. And, James Madison has a fine reputation.

9. wow, where do you live?

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Farther it is from home the better for some people :D

Me... I want to go somewhere where its far away from home that I have to move out but close enough for me to drive back and hang out with my friends :D

Santa Cruz I am thinking... maybe SF State :D

If I didn’t know people in bay area and didn’t enjoy just hanging out with buds in San Jose I would most likely go to school somewhere on east cost as well.

I don't select university just because of location btw... like Berkeley fits but I don’t want to go there... i like Santa Cruz and SF state is so so... Plus it will matter more when i go for masters and PhD etc etc where I go... not undergrad.

I am thinking Santa Cruz :D

And now I will go hang out :D

Cheers

11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    that's a widely-used term.

i ended up going to mine. :(

at UF i think 80%-plus are from florida. ...we've got this thing called "bright futures" which makes it very very very difficult to go out of state when you can go to a state school for free tuition.

12. whats a safety school? :confused:

13. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Indeed. My sister was accepted to Duke University, but when faced with the choice of a free ride at UF or a mountain of debt at Duke, the choice was obvious and she went to the University of Florida. Its a fine school though. I plan on going there myself in a couple of years.

14. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    kind of a snooty designation.

it's a school you're sure you'll be accepted into and that you're able to afford, just in case, say, you don't get accepted to MIT and you can't friggin afford tufts.

:mad:

15. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    Most of the people I know are from Florida. I do know one girl here that's from Virginia and another from Georgia, but still, most are from Florida.

Oh, I'm at FSU.

16. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    what's funny is how uf and fsu are "bitter rivals," but their physics departments are very cooperative with each other. found that somewhat funny.

i saw written on the cement sidwalk right by the stadium "FSUCKS." is there any anti-uf crap at fsu?

17. Thread Starter- You wouldn't by chance know a girl named Emily Sousa, would you? She's from where I live and she also went there. I've known her forever.

18. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    If there is anything as permanent as that, I've yet to notice it. There is, of course, a plethora of anti-UF tshirts and that kind of stuff

19. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Well I'd like to attend UT or maybe the University of Colorado in Boulder.

Not because of the schools themselves, but so I could live in Austin or in Colorado. The two coolest places I've ever been.

20. TurboRawker

TurboRawker Guest

Oct 23, 2003
    So. Car.
    I, like Defeldus, am a freshman at USC(South Carolina); I have found a huge amount of diversity in my classes. About 1/3 of the kids in my English and Univ 101 classes are from out of state.
    I stayed so close to home that I still live at home. I'm going to USC for $$$ reasons. :help: