What CD are you NOT able to play with?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Aug 19, 2004.

1. A lot of times [and I'm sure it's common with other musicians], I like to take a CD and play along with it as a form of practice. Most of the time, I am able to play right along and am able to duplicate [within reason] some of what is being played. I'm talking mostly Jazz stuff here. However, I recently picked up [and heard, for the first time] Bella Fleck's CD intitled "UFO TOFU" and started *TRYING* to play with it. I have found it rather difficult to do. I guess I'm just not that familiar with it yet, not having heard it but a couple of times. I've been trying hard to play along with Track 8 [I forget the name of the song, and don't have the CD in front of me at the moment] and I am having a tough time with it.

So my question is, what CD(s) do you play with that leave you 'in the dust'?
  2. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    What kills me are holder metal type CD's where the guitars are
    tuned together fine, but are not in tune w/ a given tuning scheme,,,, EADG, etc... As a result, YOU always sound 100% out of tune. That resulting sound of a train-wreck kills my ears. It's like a dentist drill in the skull. I hate it.
  3. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    UFO TOFU... I think I was able to <strike>fake my way through</strike> play along to that one ok, until I got to that part in Sex in a Pan. Then I just went "ahhh forget it!" ;) I just cannot slap in a funky way to save my life. Just not wired for it I suppose. :)

4. So you can't play along to Sonic Youth CDs?
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Much of Chris Squire w/Yes.

I guess we're in different galaxies. :rolleyes:
  6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Alot of bands I can't play along with just because they have goofy tunings. Unsymmetrical tunings (drop D and such) just screw me up.

I was gonna work on a couple Mastodon tunes yesterday, so I went on the internet and looked at a couple tabs just to see what tuning they were in. They're in AGCF. I said forget it.
  7. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Actually, I don't know jacksquat about Sonic Youth, so I'm not sure if I should laugh or not... Anyway, I meant like some old Sabbath or ACDC & generally REALLY easy crap... I just can't take doing it, as it drives me insane....

Regarding stuff I can't follow along w/, because I'm not good enough,,, well... Chris Squire's a good place to start. Also,, there's a run in Rush's Spirit of the Radio, that I haven't ever really figured out... Used to be able to play YYZ, but last time I tried, f'd it up badly...

I've got like 7 hours of mp3's that use a my personal set list,,, so I stick to that, alot of times...
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Mike Patton - Adult Themes For Voice.
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Oteil and the Peacemakers - live trades that i have found
  10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Victor Wooten - A Show of Hands
  11. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Lord Only - Fear and Trembling
  12. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Someone has to say it:

Rasberry Beret
  13. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I admit it. I can play parts of the Return to Forever Romantic Warrior disc, but when Stanley goes supersonic I just pick up my Mark Hoppus P-Bass and quietly sob in the corner.
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was playing bass the other day, had just tuned my bass pefectly and an old "Who" track came on the radio - it was less than a semi-tone "out" !!

I remember reading an interview with John Entwistle, where he said his "perfect pitch" was a huge handicap, as he was always aware that the band were out of tune and it had the effect you mention - like a dentist's drill or something! :meh:
  15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The first Jaco album contains "some thoughies" :) , I'm working on the Continuum solo, steadily...
  16. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    What CD are you NOT able to play with?

White Stripes :D
  17. Please, keep the input coming!! :)

It's a good humbling experience. If you want to keep your head from over expanding from your bass prowess, this is a good way to do it. Plop in a CD of an amazing musician and sit on the couch with your mouth open and your fingers stationary on the neck as a tear begins to run down your face . . . . . . . . . . . . . . but, I digress.
  18. humbled78

Jun 11, 2004
    Dangelo- Vodoo...... time sigs?.... what time sigs?

Pino kills!
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

He must have been happy when they started incorperating more keyboard into their songs. :)