1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What cell phone company do you use and are you happy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Apr 10, 2009.

1. My cell phone company, which I won't name since I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name them in here, has really irked me here today. I needed a USB cable to upload pictures from my phone to my hard drive. My wife went to the store where they sell these phones and their services to see what they had. She returned with nothing since the employees told her that my phone was 2 years old and I needed a new one. I love my phone. It's a Sanyo Katana II. I don't need to check my email or facebook on my phone or use it as an ipod. I just need a phone with a camera. So today I looked online for one but the description was hard to understand so I wanted to make sure that the cable I wanted to buy was going to be able to do that. I called the store but didn't get through. Finally my wife called them and instead of them being helpful and informative the guy on the other end was more interested with trying to sell her a new phone. She said that she didn't need a new phone but just needed a cable. From what I understood from her tone and from the story she told me, the guy was rude to her and when she said she didn't want a new phone he hung up on her. This is just one of many things that they've done to make me mad but this particular instance was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm so sick of this particular company. They're a huge corporation and will always try to sell you something even when you just need to ask them a question. I understand that's how they make their money but jeez, you don't have to be rude about it. I'm ready for a switch. I've been with this particular company since 2000 and am ready to switch and never look back.

So, my purpose for this rant is to find out who you guys are with and do you like them. Who would you recommend to a guy in my situation?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ATT and i hate them like the rest of the carriers.

3. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Verizon
    I make probably 2 personal phone calls a week that's it and it works for that.
    I also receive about 2 phone calls a day from users at work and it works for that too.

It serves it's purpose.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Buy the cord off amazon or Ebay. That's where I get most phone accessories. Don't pay the inflated prices.

I have AT&T. It has been OK but mostly they all stink. I was on Verizon for many years before that.

bc

5. Did you like Verizon? I have a friend that works at the call center and he's always trying to talk to me about switching. That was one of my choices.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I have AT&T (iPhone suckered me in), and I'm not very impressed. Haven't really dealt with them on a corporate/customer service basis, but as far as coverage/call quality/dropped call ratio, they're terrible. I get more dropped or non-completed calls in a week than I had in roughly four years with Verizon.

Verizon's coverage and call quality was fantastic. They seemed fine from a custom service standpoint, but my mother uses them as her internet provider where she lives, and they seem pretty piss-poor in that arena.

I think the bottom line is that large companies are going to have both major successes and failures across the board. It's just a matter of which ones you're willing to tolerate. For me, if Apple/Verizon ever come up with an iPhone that works on Verizon's networks, I'll pay the early contract cancellation fee in a heartbeat to get away from AT&T.

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Sprint for my wife. Plan was REALLY cheap since I worked for them. I no longer work for them but still benefit from a plan that's cheaper than the average consumer plan. Not bad. My son has VirginMobile. Really cheap rate plan. All carriers should take notice. If my job didn't issue me a free phone/plan, I'd get another VirginMobile phone.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Verizon here, for the last 10 years now. Good coverage in this area.

-Mike

9. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    I was on AT&T for many years and wasn't happy about the coverage or customer service. They screwed me a few times. One time the person accidently took off my promotional-priced texting plan and couldn't put it back on so I had to pay more for texting because the promotion was over. Another time they accidently took off my texting plan (unbeknownst to me) and I got charged 10 cents for all my texts...THEN they refused to refund me until I escalated it to a manager. Every time I called they were rude.

Verizon has been pretty good. I love the coverage. My friends and their cool iPhones will have no coverage while I'm chatting away no problem. I wish Verizon had an iPhone, I checked out their copy cat phones and wasn't impressed. Their customer service is OK. I've gotten the occasional rude person, but I've learned to "oops" get disconnected should I get a rude person and then I just call back and you never get the same person twice.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    for all of us with iphones - att and apple will be out of contract in 2010 (i'm almost sure of this) - att will be moving to LTE and verizon to WiMax - new times should bring more fun..

ask the qintar, he keeps track of all of this stuff.

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I have Verizon, been with them since 2002, with no problems at all. Hardly ever a dropped call, decent customer service, the like, one time Ive had to call them. I have great coverage, and I use the iphone wannabe, LG Voyager. Its a great phone, I can watch TV, use the internet, its my mp3 player and all that jazz. But if you dont need any of those extras you can get yourself a fairly cheap plan.

12. WorkinOnIt

WorkinOnIt

Aug 17, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Verizon here. Good coverage in my area. The only bad thing is the GPS fails when I am driving around downtown. Something about the buildings causes the GPS to fail, but voice is fine. I us the LG Voyager.

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    We're like blood brothers, you and I.
    except my GPS works fine, even amongst the tall buildings of LA.

14. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    T-Mobile...

Rules!

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I got suckered into AT&T too with the iPhone. I love the phone, I dislike the service. I had Verizon for about seven years prior and never had a problem with service or customer service. AT&T, on the other hand, drops far more calls but the customer service is pretty good.

If the iPhone ever is available on Verizon, I'm going back. No question about it.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    verizon had a few rate increases on text messages during my time with them. I receved no notice - just an increased bill. That was teh suck. I could talk to a rep much more quickly than I've ever been able to get one on AT&T. Their coverage is good but I couldn't get a signal at my land in the country while I can get a singnal there on my Iphone (edge). All the companies nickel and dime you to death and it drives me up the wall. They have gotten better in one respect - now when you cancel your contract you pay a prorated fee that decreases every month.

EV-DO on Verizon is faster than At&t 3G but the next iPhone will be able t download at 7mbps on the same 3G network thanks to some new cell chip technology.

17. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    AT&T for 3 years - they've been OK. $40 / mo, never even come close to going over my minutes & if I do I got a zillion rollover minutes. I do rack up extra charges calling to or in Canada but that's about it.

The official stores seem to be ridiculous. They don't know their stuff and the prices suck. Radio Shack of all places seems to have it together much better, both on pricing and expertise.

18. Beno

Beno

Jan 11, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Verizon.

19. I've had Sprint for 10 years or so, and they've always been great to me. I'm currently rockin' the BB Curve, and the phone is awesome. The coverage is great, and IME, CS has always been top notch too.

Couldn't pay me to switch.

20. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Turkcell.:D