What changes for you as you get older?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Mar 5, 2004.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    In the past I was all about the city and going to clubs to see bands play on the weekends and whatnot. Now as I've gotten older I still enjoy seeing bands play but mostly I just want to go hang out at my family's land in the country, relax and be in the outdoors and I try to do that on just about every free weekend I have. I figure it's just another couple of years before I spend all my time sitting on my porch with a Grizzly Adams beard whittling and waving a crusty old shotgun at "the revenuers."

What do you see changing or what have you seen changed in your life as you get older?

brad cook

Edit: No puberty details please for you yunguns ;)
  2. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    I don't hang out in the clubs as much. When I was in my twenties, it was seven nights a week. If I wasn't playing in one, I was checking out the scene. Nowadays, maybe once a week--not counting gigs.
    And speaking of gigs, I don't do that as often anymore. I have serious shoulder problems which make playing on a regular basis very painful and difficult.

As I get older, I seem to enjoy reading a lot more. I also seem to make more time for outdoor stuff like hiking, hunting, fishing, etc.

Sigh................ ;)
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ditto on less clubbing and partying. Can't wait till the kids are out of college (6 more years!) then I can get back into the fun :D
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Well, right now I'm 21 years old and 6'1". If my calculations are right, and I continue this trend, by the time I'm 30, I'll be 8'6"!

EDIT: To go along with the real spirit of the this thread, even though I'm very young, I'm really tired of "the scene" I'm in. I'm tired of stagnant and pretentious indie rock, I'm tired of re-hashed emo, and I'm tired of the attitudes. I need to move on soon.
  5. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I don't know how old is being considered OLD, but I'm only 35. I didn't start playijng bass until I got married about 10 years ago, so I sorta missed out on the whole clubbing scene, and by the time I was ready to gig out, no one needed a bass player. Now that I've got some years under my belt, I enjoy going out into the bay area maybe once a month to hear other groups, but not the loud stuff. I'll head to Yoshi's for select performances (George Duke, Lala Hathaway, Stanley C. Vic W., etc.).

I guess I'm just at that stage in life where kids and career take more of my time than playing as much as I'd like to will allow. And I'm not kidding, with PTA, homework, both my daughter's and the stuff I bring home from the office, quality time, discipline time, meals, cleaning, teaching moral lessons, being a good example, Disney on Ice, Brownie scouts, dance lessons, 3 Church Service every Sunday....yadda yadda, yadda....My bass only gets pulled out for Choir rehersal on Thursday night and Church on Sunday, and I feeel absolutely AWFUL about that. I'd love to have more time to go over stuff, and try some new ideas or heck just play along with my favorite CD's.

I see the future as being a little more of the same and only getting worse when my 3 year old son starts school and extra activities. (Baseball, football, soccer, cub scouts, drum lessons, more PTA, more Homework, ... was all this in the contact I signed when I got married?? Where's my lawyer??)

In my old age, I'll have gear and ax in the closet collecting dust...and break it out again at the age of 62, The battery in the bass will still be good, and I'll RAWK!!! Imagine Ozzie Oz singing the National Anthem at a baseball game... That'll be me!

Edititng my answer for the 3rd time:
    - I've learned to listen more
    - I've learned that Slapping isn't all that important, and finger walking has new meaning.
    - Anthony Jackson and Jamerson get better as I listen to them. Louis Johnson is losing his appeal.
    - How much my gear weighs IS important
    - How far I have to park from the front door or access door of a gig IS more important.
    - Headroom and clarity are more important than thump.
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I'm 25 now and have a family. I definitely prefer to stay at home more often now that go out to bars, and my drinking has just about disappeared-I have like one Guinness every couple months now.
  7. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I got a little fat in the belly area, but still in good shape.
    No more tequila (sp?), scotch took his place.
    Can't sleep late anymore.
    Don't slap as much.
    I have more ties and dress shirts.
    Make groaning noises when I get up and down.
    Have more respect for others in general.
    Don't take the sports car over 110mph.
    Happy to be who I am as a bass player.
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well I didn't say "old" just "older!"

brad cook
  9. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Kids on my lawn really make me mad.
  10. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Well I am with everyone else. In my twenties I went out to bars all the time. Now that I am in my thirties I go out to a bar maybe once month. I feel band that I am in a gigging band, yet I dont go out very often and support the music scene. I guess I have to remember I did that in my twenties.

I find I am becoming less and less tolerant of large crowds. Milwaukee has a huge summer music festival called Summerfest. When I was younger I loved going, now, I cant stand it. I just cant stand being in huge crowds.

My diet should be changing, but, I havent quite got there yet. I still eat all the bad stuff I used to, but now I feel guilty about it. I guess that is some progress.

Youth is wasted on the young.

11. Fishing is great, isn't it! I have lost a bit of the enthusiasim for the music scene. Since I play 5 nites a week, I don't get a chance to see other bands and unfortunately it's a bit like a "job" now, but its the best job in the world though. you definately start slowing down the older you get though.
  12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    In the past I was all about racing and wrenching. I rarely went to bars/clubs, cause I wasnt at all interested in it. Any given weekend or weeknight I could be found in or underneath some sort of hot rod/monster truck etc.......

I only started going to bars on a regular basis when I joined a band(late 20's), and even then I wasnt crazy about the whole scene.....a few drunken idiots with mucho testosterone can ruin a night in no time flat.

Now that I'm in my late 30's, Wifey and the kids come first.
  13. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I can't sleep past 7:00 am, I have dunlap's diasese, I have become more patient with almost everything, complain about new fads/trends, drive the speed limit or under a few mph, groans when getting up/down.....The list goes on. And I am only 30 :bawl:
  14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My torsoe gets hairier
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I get more and more cynical.
  17. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I want a casket made by George Furlanetto or Ray Rogers.
  18. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    For me the wife and family definitely come first.

Most of my "friends" at work still do the happy hour every Friday to get toasted and then go to the nudie bars. Or they'll have a party and everyone will get fall down drunk. Just not my idea of a good time anymore.
  19. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    My life is like Bill Murray's in "Groundhog's Day".

Every day is the same...with the possible exception that each day, week, month, year gets shorter and shorter.
  20. well, i used to always hang out at home all the time, but now that I'm headin off to college in a year, its time to party like its 1999.