Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What changes have you seen in your lifetime?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Mar 21, 2004.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Serious question....I am hoping to hear some contributions more significant that prices of goods.

Here is mine.....as a youngster, I remember sitting right next to the TV while we were watching it. My dad had me or my sister sit there so we could change channels on the TV. Remote control's for TV's were not readily available when I was a young kid. This was when I was around seven to nine years old.......1978-1980.

-Mike

2. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    I had the same "no remote" childhood with parents who refused to let us sit close to the TV so they'd make us get up to change it for them.

Then we got a massive remote with a 50' cable running under the carpet to the couch...we thought we were in a futuristic wonderworld - hehehe

But the thing that totally freaked me out was going from programming each keyboard sound one-by-one (or like me using 11 boards on stage) to clicking preset sounds...man oh man that was awesome....I remember seeing Level 42 with an Emulator, feeding the disc with his teeth, typing the number code with his nose while playing to be ready for the next sound change...man was that cool!

That and MIDI blew my mind...

Bass wise, I remember the day I heard about active pickups, but never got a bass with one till last Dec.

3. Just a few things off the top of my head - mostly trivial.

I seem to recall salsa (the condiment), VCRs and ATMs all appeared around the same time... at least where I lived. Before that there was just Taco Sauce.

Answering machines for home use.

Hand-held calculators.

White-out and post-it notes.

Reusable space vehicles.

CGI.

The really cool modern style of roller coasters (or "Level Five Thrill Rides" as Knott's Berry farm calls them).

Personal hovercraft. Oh sorry - still waiting for that.

-Mike

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I remember when people thought 28k modems were the fastest it was ever gonna get.... then came 56k.... then cable and T lines...

Cell phones, smaller, cheaper, more applications....

toys are becoming far to safe...

saying "gun" can get you suspended from school...

Ozzy apparently IS NOT the anti-christ anymore, it is now Marilon/marylon (whatever) Manson

Terrorists only use airplanes as methods of attack...

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I remember the iceman coming a couple times a week to stock the icebox (no fridge back then), milk being delivered to the door, the Colts beating the Giants in overtime in black and white on the tube, the first cosmonaut, bomb shelters, Timothy Leary, the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, Woodstock and the Summer Of Love, punch card reading computers, bellbottoms, see through blouses, and bass you can feel. :cool:

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    We get our milk delivered to our door in glass bottles from a local dairy. Dairy fresh every week.

-Mike

7. I grew up in the 1950's - 60's, so I've seen quite a few changes. One major change is what we are doing on this forum. We are comunicating worldwide in a instant. That was unheard of in my youth. Anyway, I'll just summarize in the following:
    1. Television. My father bought our first TV in 1954, a black & white set. I didn't have a color set until I got my own in 1970. Nothing had remote control. Oh, and I can't think of one crude program back then. Contrast that to today.
    2. Stereo music. I remember listening to only monoraural as a youngster. Stereo started coming into existance for us in the late 60's.
    3. Lower airfares nowdays. Only the wealthy regularly traveled by air in those days. The rest of us traveled by train or in our cars (if we went anywhere at all).
    4. The Interstate highway system. Wow, has that made a difference traveling across the USA by car. Back then, all the highway travel was on two lane roads going through every town (a lot of stop & go).
    5. Fastfood eateries. We had a few local places to stop in for a quick bite back then, but most meals were prepared at home by mom. Now, there are fastfood chains everywhere and we are really taking advantage of them. For many people, most meals are not eaten at home anymore.
    6. Education. When I was a kid, we really concentrated on the three R's: Reading, (w)riting, (a)rithmetic. Now, more advanced topics are being covered before really getting the fundamentals down. I observed this with my own children's schooling and now my grandchildren. In testing, we had to write sentence completions and essay tests that showed that we actually learned the material. By the time my kids were in school, they were tested only with multiple choice and true/false quizes. Also, I remember one time two of my children had found one of my old grade school workbooks and were chuckling. I asked them what they were chuckling about. They were looking at questions in my old book asking what I thought and that seemed strange to them. I asked them if their teachers ever asked them what they thought and they said "never". This will turn into a rant so I'll quit now.
    7. Computers (might was well throw FAX machines in here too). I was unique in that I actually worked with mainframe computers starting in 1969. Most did not have that opportunity yet. These things filled entire rooms and didn't have the computing power of devices that we now carry in our hands. Most people didn't start getting personal computers until the 1980's, really the late 1980's - 90's (some don't have one yet). Now, look at what we do with the internet. We are communicating all over the world in an instant (TB Forum is one example), making our own travel arrangements over the internet, purchasing our musical supplies (some still don't like to do that), Studying / going to school...................
    8. Microwave ovens. Talk about preparing meals made easy.
    9. Self service gas stations. When I was a kid, all stations were full service. A crew would come out, fill your tank for you, check the basic maintenance items on the car, clean your windshields...... Actually were setup to perform major repair service for you if needed. We don't see very many full service staions anymore. I think we have only one in the entire city/county. For an example of full service station, watch the movie "Back To The Future". When "Marty" goes back to 1955, there is a scene that shows what I'm talking about.

I've actually thought about this before in regards to my Grandmother. She was born in 1879 (yes, she's gone now) and would tell me stories of her youth. The big contrasts were in her lifetime. She went from horse & buggy, no refrig, no phone, no electricity....... to household appliances, cars, and jet travel across the continent all in her lifetime. I always thought that must have been really culture shock for her. She did seem to adapt well though.

Well, this is getting lengthy, so I'll let some others fill in the rest.

8. I remeber when my rich friend's got 56k modems and were all like "Holy crap I can download at 5k/sec!"

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I give talks to sophomores in high school about workplace skills. I bring the following items with me when I start the series:

cell phone
    CD, CD player
    PDA (Palm)
    GPS receiver
    Hand-held calculator
    TV remote control
    Digital camera
    MP3 player
    Laptop computer

Then I ask them what all these things have in common. I get some correct answers like "they all have chips" and the like, but the final answer is: "They didn't exist when I was sitting where you are."

If you think things have changed in my lifetime, wait 'til you see what happens in the next fifty years. Combine genetic engineering with the continuing exponential growth of electronics technology, and "weird science" will be the understatement of the millenium. Good luck to all you young-uns!

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Cars have stopped looking so much like boxes.

11. bassmantele

bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    My all male public high school accepting it's first girls. Catholic mass in English. The old Irish/Italian Catholic Boston I grew up in doesn't exist any more - everyone moved out.
    And where did all the cool monster movies go?

12. see all the movies on t.v. yeah, theres your look into the future.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Good luck, indeed.
    You said it-
    "Genetic enginnering" + "exponential growth of electronics".

I've seen enough Matrix & Terminator movies to know what's a-comin'...

14. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Because of my father's work, we have always had the cutting edge computer technology in my house. Its kind of a trip to look back only 15 years and see that we had an IBM PS/2. I dont remember the specs on it, but it had a vga monitor and a whopping 16k of ram (DOS of course). That thing must have cost a fortune.

15 years later, we have a 5-computer wireless network with laser printing and *gasp* THE INTERNET. The advances in technology have been absolutely staggering if you think about it. Only 60 years ago, the brightest minds in the world were pushing punch cards into ENIAC, and now we have computers that can weigh less than 2 pounds and can do billions of calculations per second. AND any idiot can use one and buy one for damn cheap. Heck, only TEN years ago nobody had the internet, and now it's something we can't live without (although some use their time on the internet more wisely than others :rolleyes: ).

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I tend to think the exact opposite - so when I was in junior school, we were watching the moon landing on TV, seeing Concorde achieve supersonic air travel and reading about how we would all be living on space stations or domes on Mars by the time we grew up!!

Nowadays, I am very disappointed at how little has actually changed since my youth and that my life is likely to be very much the same as my parents - whereas, when I was under 10, I expected to be riding the spacelanes and helping to colonise new planets, by the age I am now!! :(

16. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Sure, but it's probably delivered in a Freightliner/Mercedes turbo diesel box van.:cool:

The changes in food processing and agribusiness are maybe the most significant of any that I've seen in my 50 years on this planet. Count your blessings if you're getting local-farmed anything these days.

17. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    Casette tapes, i still have a huge pile in my closet.

Smokey the Bear, what happened to him?

the old child safety commercials with the rap, "walk, dont run, leave the are, tell an adult"

ultra fast home computers, like mike said, i still remember a radioshack computer we had called atapi or something like that, monotonic monitor, dot matrix printer, extremely slow modem, you had access to news groups, email, and some tiny site that gave news, weather, and sport updates. all that for a charge of $50 a month and something like $1.00 a minute.

Then came the pc with an 28k, built in modem, WOW!!,

I remember the onset of AOL, when it was first getting big.

The atari, nintendo, SNES, VIRTUAL BOY!!!

And finally, Full House, Growing Pains, Family Ties, Punky Brewster.

When MTV had music.

Sneaking out late to watch Cheers cause my parents thought it was too racy for a little kid.

Basic Cable, 4 networks, 30 channels

when the disney channel was premium service

Fox as the 4th network

The popularity of Jerry Springer.

the word "SIKE!!"

the High five, (its coming back)

Teenage mutant Ninga Turtles

Power Rangers

The first Iraq war,( i remember watching that on TV)

laid back security in airports and gov. buildings

when Al Quaeda sounded more like a restarauant and meant nothing

Joe Camel...

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Is it just me, or do things like this seem really trivial when you're talking about a "lifetime"!!?? :meh:

So what is important in life hasn't really changed and basically we carry on much the same as our parents did - births, marriages and deaths - eat, sleep and go to work until we die!!

19. All kinds of things were way different "back in the day" but to stay with the TV thing... HBO started at like 5PM and the rest of the time it was just red and blue bad graphics schedules- like your local public access TV station announces grade school lunch schedules. The other thing was the wired slider box that had like 33 channels, and you had a slider that changed channels. Even if you had a remote for your TV (not likely) you HAD to use that slider box.

20. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    I remember Am Radio being what everyone listened to, and FM being the domain of Hippies and Jazz snobs..

I remember when Camcorders consisted of two seperate units, the camera and the playback deck, and they cost around $2000.

I remember complaining about Gas going up to 75 cents a gallon, and being worried that it might someday hit a dollar.

I remember rotary dial phones....
    Broadcast TV.
    American Motors
    The invention of the Walkman
    Discman
    Turntables
    I remember when it was Col. Sanders, not KFC
    I remember "Burger Chef"
    I remember when Toyotas, Datsun (Now Nissan), and Honda were cheap little tin box cars, and the only quality came from Ford, Chrysler and GM.....
    I remember when there were Phone books in payphone booths, and no one had a Cell phone.....
    I remember when the Government decided childrens TV was too violent, so they made Tom and Jerry Friends.......
    I remember when Phil Donahue was the best thing on Daytime TV, and there were no other Talk shows.
    I remember when OJ wasn't known as a murderer, and when Michael Jackson wasn't ans accused Child molester.
    I remember when there was a USSR, and not a Kazhakstan.....
    I remember when Crackerjack had cool prizes, and not stickers.......