Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What changes would a bass-body shape change make?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Nov 4, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I'm thinking of buying a Telebass body (The newer non-P shaped body) and am wondering how a body shape change will affect sound or anything else.

2. Um...I don't think it matters.

I think it's the wood that counts.

Hehe. I said 'wood' :D

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Body shape really won't effect your tone.. Tone is in the hands... and tone comes from the wood also.... and the pickups.... and the strings...and your preamp... but not shape

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i think that to the extent that shape and mass are involved, shape could affect tone. A larger shape weighs more... more mass can give a different tone.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    IIRC, the upper horn of the Telebass is much shorter and hardly cut out at all. This will add a lot of stiffnes, and also weight.
    As the resonance is a function of weight/stiffness, you soon figure there will be a different resonance. Probably, you will have a little more midrange. But that's merely a guess, there are other factors in resonance.

Then again, the body is just a flavour, while the main parts of sound are speaker cab(s), strings and neck system, attack/touch and electronic signal chain.