Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What cheap single cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    My current rig:

QSC RMX1450 power amp, BBE Bmax preamp, Avatar 115H cab.
    The rig is more than I need and I'm actually embarrassed to drag all of that around since I'm not such a great player anyway and never play anyplace big. I also hate that it's so big and weighs so much.

Next rig looks like a Hartke HA3000 head with what cab I don't know yet. I'm interested in going small, but I don't need to go extreme. I need it to go loud enough with the 300 watt head to be heard with drums keyboard and guitar in a blues/rock band. Probably 4 ohm cab would be best. Something decent sounding with money being more of an issue than weight. I like the rack/cab combos from LDS and might be able to spring for one of their custom jobs if I don't get carried away with options. Then again I'm a sucker for good used equipment if I can get a good deal.

Mostly, I don't know what drivers are going to do the job.
    2 X 10's,
    10 & 12,
    8 & 12,
    3 X 8's?

I just dunno! I think 2 x 12's will be at or over my limit for weight and size unless the Avatar 2 x 12 is abnormally large.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I'd suggest a pair of Avatar 1x12 Neo cabs. Very flexible (take 1 or 2) and easy to carry.

3. The Bag End s-15 is an extremely efficient (but 8 ohm) cabinet. Small and decently weighted, as well. Used prices are usually around $300.

Mike

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think you should save money and stay with what you have. I wouldn't feel safe with anything less than a 15 for practice, unless you want to spend a ton of dough for a really nice cab.

5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Keep the pre/power setup and replace the 115 with something that will handle a little more juice. The hartke is going to be a noticeable step backward. I'm not bashing Hartke, I used a 3500 for years, but it will not sound as good as the bbe. Maybe look at getting a single high quality compact cab, and then add on to it later if needed. That avatar is most likely the weak link in your rig.

6. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'd say try Avatars 410 or 212 or check out the Aguilar S-series cabs at Musicians Friend. They are on sale for crazy low prices, the 410 is going for $380!! I think a 410 is the best one-cab solution to anything. But if you want real small setups. Get a 210 and add a 12 if you need, get two 210 cabs or get two 12"speaker cabs.

Take care...

7. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Wow, you guys are making it difficult. I was hoping to hear a few "oh yeah, a _____ cab is pretty much the typical not too huge all arounder"

Heheh, too easy I guess. I really do want to reduce my pre/power setup though, and going from a 40 pound power amp to a 20 pound head sounds like heaven to me. I may not stick with the Hartke, although I have already bought the HA3000. Probably cheap enough to make a profit from it, and I could at least get back all I paid for it if I try it out and dislike it.

Is the Bag End cab really a significant step up from the Avatar? I know it's a smaller box which is definately nice, but still is a single 15" driver. If you can explain to ignorant me what besides size would make the Bag End a better choice I would sure appreciate it. I nearly bought a used Bag End when I got my 15, but the Avatar had such praise from all over and was a few bucks cheaper =P.

The 410 or 212, I don't know. I really would like to stay smaller and I really think either of those cabs would still be overkill for what I'm doing. A 210 might be fine and it just kills me that I have a SWR Workingman 210 that I can't push because the drivers are trashed. I can play it quiet in my livingroom, but if I turn it up at all it sounds like something is loose and rattling around. I tried it with the speakers out of the box and they are both like that even with nothing touching them. Maybe a pair of new drivers for that cab would be good, or maybe that 210 Aguilar from M-F. The Aguilar is only $199, wow! So what's the difference between the S and GS series cabs that makes one list for $549 and the other for $799?

I just really would like to simplify and reduce to something more reasonable and convenient for what I'm doing. We usually practice at my place, but sometimes we go to the guitarists house and I hate having to load up that huge crap :eek:

8. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    The GS series are heavier, have cast-frame speakers with heavy magnets, are front ported and tend to be more "hi-fi" sounding. Very clear and focused. I love my GS112s (and my GS410 when I had it). The S-series are lighter, smaller, rear ported, have stamped-frame speaker with lighter magnets, and are supposed to be more midrange heavey. They were designed to "cut" trough better. People here seem to agree. And with the MF prices they are a steal IMO. I love Aguilar porducts and there's no reason to think that these S-series aren't good enough. I just bought an S810 for $600, and I can't wait to get it.

I hope some of this helped...

9. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, I just pulled the trigger one one too...I hope they have enough for everyone :D

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    45 minutes for the standard Avatar reply? Man, you guys are getting slow. :D

-Mike