Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What choice have you made...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff O'Connor, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Stratford, CT
    :eyebrow: OK folks...I must ask once.

Which have you found to be more effective: power amp full up /
    then adjust with pre
    OR pre full up, then tweak with pwr amp....

I do understand that diferent combinations happen, but I'd just like to see what ya'll are doing!

Thanks!

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Like a lot of bass heads, my GK BL600 has one or more Class-A stages in the preamp, but has a linear power amp. To minimize distortion, I run with the power amp full up. Indeed, with a lot of amps, the balance between pre and post gain serves as a de facto distortion control.

3. I was told awhile ago that, if you run your power amps lower you are actually starving the power amp of its potential power. That knob is not a volume. So, I run my power amp at about full then adjust my preamp level. Good question.

4. On my Pro 500, I have the power amp at full and adjust volume with the pre-amp. Works well.

5. This is a quote by Bob Lee of QSC Audio from another thread:

"
    "

6. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    With my Alembic tube preamp I can turn it up higher for a more 'tubey' sound (even slightly overdriven if desired), or leave the volume on a lower setting for a cleaner sound. I like to get the sound I want by adjusting the volume knob on the Alembic preamp, and then adjust the overall volume with the gain controls on the power amp.