Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Chorus pedal-brand do you use

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Beammeup, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Hi TB'ers,

I currently use the Boss CEB-3 Chorus in my FX-board, but...

What do you use?
    - I want to know if you've any good advice or expirence with other brands.

2. EBS unichorus, simply the best :D

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Tried plenty:
    EBS Unichorus
    Boss CEB-3
    TC Electronics Stereo Chorus Flanger (SCF)
    Fulltone ChoralFlange
    Analogman Clone Chorus
    MXR m-134 chorus reissue

I just got the MXR, so haven't tried it out fully yet.
    All the others are perfectly good chorus pedals, for my tastes I found the TC Electronics one a bit sterile sounding. The choralflange is great, but I ended up sticking on the Analogman Clone Chorus - it's operation is very K.I.S.S. and it sounds great.

If you search, there are lots of threads in the archives discussing all these brands.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Danelectro Cool Cat, the 18V version

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I have a Line 6 MM4, which I use for the rare times I want chorus (I use the Dimension D model- sounds like all those songs with great chorus, but I get bored with chorus, no matter how great).

90% of the time I use it for the very slow Vibratone model or the Phase 90, again very slow. Think Dark Side of the Moon or Physical Graffiti, not late 80s chorus.

6. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    BODD CE 2B, old but still does the job.

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have an old DOD Bass Chorus, which is, at best, adequate. I'd like to have a better one, frankly, but it's held up and worked for me for some time now.

The thing I don't like about the DOD, at least when compared to some of the others I've tried, is its lack of quality depth. Sure, you can adjust the depth, but its inherent depth seems to get lost in the mix.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I currently use the Fulltone ChoralFlange. I find it to be very natural sounding, really allowing the character of my bass to shine through. It's also pretty subtle, which is good (IMO, anyway). Furthermore, I love the fact that it's True Bypass.;)

9. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    that´s what i use too. Bought it for guitar but i found it to be the perfect bass chorus.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Morley Crystal chorus from the Gem series of effects. Expensive, uncommon, and sounds pretty good.

11. E.O.M.

E.O.M.

Dec 7, 2001
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I've been a user of the Boss CEB-3 for years. I haven't tried any others, but the CEB-3 has never sounded anything but great to me (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). I love being able to go from the most subtle chorus, effecting only the high frequencies, to the full-out heavy vibrato tones effecting full range.

12. alanwolf

alanwolf

Sep 22, 2004
    TC SCF pedal for fretless is great; I'm not as thrilled with it on fretted. Also have the G Major processor, but haven't tried the chorus on bass yet.

13. Digitech Multi Voice Bass Chorus, pretty fresh sounding. I represent with this pedal.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another Danelectro Cool Cat user. Mine is the 9 volt version.

These things are very good for the price, and work even better with bass than they do with guitar.

I got mine for $26.00 on Ebay, and it sounds better than some $150 bass specific choruses that I have demoed. These are a real bargain IMHO.

15. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    i use a danelectro milshake chorus

its one of the mini ones and really meant for guitar

its is good for the money but lacks if your moving around alot as it struggles to get a good tonal difference between low low bass notes and higher notes

16. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I use the Digitech Multi Bass Chorus. It goes from subtle to very obvious (but still a usable sound). It's quiet which was a biggie for me.

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    Ibanez CS-9 reissue.

i'll a/b it with my suitemate's Boss CEB-3 eventually.

nails the chorus from disintegration-era cure. also "take my breath away" (which was funnier to play before jessica simpson's version of it! :mad: )

18. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    I want signal chain to be quiet - like a mouse :eek:

And the Boss CEB-3 doesn't exactly help me :crying:
    - That's why I wanted to hear my fellow TB'ers opinion.

Thanks and remember to keep them coming.

19. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
    Whoa...

Forgot to tell ya, that I use my Loop-Master Dual Loop to keep the noisy unit out of my chain and punch it in, when needed.

20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I use my trusty old Korg AX-1B. Best chorus in the World, it's not.
    But it does a great job, delivers clean, ample choruses and can be controled with the expression pedal.
    It actually sounds better than a lot of dedicated pedals I've heard.
    As a separate unit, my preference goes to the Rocktron Tsunami.